SOLVED Modify Win 10 Start Menu

Reaction score
I've looked but I can't see that this is a possibility but I'll check here in case I've missed something....

Is there any way to add a menu link to the right pane of the Win 10 start menu?

For example, I have many video editing and authoring tools and I'd like to group them all under one menu to make them easier to find. I could do this in the "Classic menu" of Windows XP and the add on program "Classic Start" can do this. I don't have Win 7 experience but I think that it could be done in Win 7 too.

It seems incredible that Microsoft wouldn't include this valuable option in Win 10!

Did I miss the feature?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there any way to add a menu link to the right pane of the Win 10 start menu?
You can "pin" practically anything to "start", and you can sort and group them however you want.

Start.png

However if you are talking about some type of cascading folder menu, then the answer is.... no. You can pin a folder to start but it doesn't behave like you would expect it to.

Reaction score
You can "pin" practically anything to "start", and you can sort and group them however you want.

However if you are talking about some type of cascading folder menu, then the answer is.... no. You can pin a folder to start but it doesn't behave like you would expect it to.

Thank-you for your answer Trouble. I wanted to make sure that I didn't miss something but you have confirmed what I found. I find this a real shame that MS has omitted a feature that was included up to Win XP (and maybe Win 7?).

I do a lot of web development, photo, video and audio editing and use a wide variety of programs.
I'm currently using Win 8.1 Pro with Classic Start installed and use the "Classic Style Menu" (like Win 98). I have the following cascading menus on my menu:
-Web - 14 programs
-Video - 45 programs
-Audio - 11 programs
-Photo - 15 programs
-Utilities - 22 programs

If these programs were all accessed only from the Win 10 start menu or the "Modern Style" right pane of the start menu, it would be unwieldy.

I have made this suggestion to the Win 10 Insiders program but it doesn't seem like it will be incorporated. Hopefully the "Classic Start" program will continue to exist!

Thanks again!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have made this suggestion to the Win 10 Insiders program
You and me both.
It would be very handy to be able to nest applications within our own folders in the Start Menu and have them behave like previous editions of Windows, or even with the "Show jump view" might be better than nothing.

Ask a Question