Monitor black, sleep mode briefly appears then nothing

Reaction score
I have been using Windows 10 without issue. Then 3 days ago we had a heatwave so I completely shut down my Lenovo PC. When I turned it on today I get nothing but a brief monitor asleep message...no boot up, no cursor, no windows symbols nothing. I have tried several times to turn it on and off, hit just about every key to try and get into a safe mode or bios...nothing.

Help!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you are not seeing the manufacturer's splash screen or any POST information when you attempt to boot your computer, then.....
You might need to hard reset it.
You don't mention if it is a laptop or desktop PC
Unplug it from AC power
IF it is a laptop, remove the battery.
Press and hold the power button for a count of 30. To discharge any residual energy stored in capacitors.
IF it is a laptop, replace the battery
Plug it back into AC power.
Power it on and observe the screen and see if there is anything different, as to what you see on the monitor.

Reaction score
I hate to jump on someone else's thread, but I'm having the same issue. I don't know etiquette here - should I start a new thread? Anyway, I took your advice: I unplugged the power cord of my desktop, then held down the power button for 30 seconds. Now, when the computer starts up, the monitor turns on (yeah!) and eventually gets to the Windows 10 login screen before the monitor goes to sleep. I'd really appreciate your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure what might be going on.
At the sign in screen, can you actually log in?
Can you use the power icon on the sign in screen while holding the shift key on your keyboard to restart and get to the advanced troubleshooting options and from there use Startup Settings to launch safe mode or safe mode with networking?

Reaction score
I tried unplugging it again this morning to see if I'd be able to log-in - and now everything works great. We don't shut down completely very often, so maybe it needed that after the upgrade. Anyway, thanks for your help and if anything changes, I'll be back. Have a great week. ~ Amy

Ask a Question