Monitor not working after Power outage during Windows 10 Upgrade

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I was upgrading Windows from 7 to 10. wehn at about 35% through there was a power outage and all power was lost.

When the power came back on, I switched my computer on and the screen was blank, power was getting to the screen, it came up with the ACER brand name and then said 'signal lost' and turned off.

The computer does something, but I'm not sure what as I cant see anythign on the screen, I connected 2 different monitors to get the same response.

What can I do to get the computer working properly, I'm not sure if the upgrade was sucessful or not and need to get information from the the PC.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to get the use of the computer back again without deleting all the data on it, or does anyone know how I can transfer the files to another PC.

Thank you.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can use the Windows 10 iso to repair or continue the upgrade. Someone else may need to chime in on that.

If all else fails, you can burn a linux live cd, which runs a version of it's OS directly from a cd/dvd (or usb flash drive). From there you can at least recover files off the hard drive. This is a pretty good tutorial on how to use puppy linux to do that. Good luck.

https://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to get the use of the computer back again
At the acer screen can you bring up the System Setup Utility (BIOS)?
If so you might poke around in there and see if there is an option to reset to either "defaults" or "optimized defaults" or something like that.
Other wise I would pull the hard disk and attach it to another Windows system and backup all my critical data, before attempting anything else.

Ask a Question