Most popular browsers

Reaction score
Okay, okay, these numbers are for the end of February 2016, and they'll be obsolete in a few days. But there are some big surprises.

Windows Explorer holds the lead with 44.79%, but hold on! In April 2015, they were 55.83%.

Chrome is becoming the browser of choice, advancing 10.88% in ten months to reach 36.56%. With MS dropping support of Explorer, it looks like Chrome will become the world's most popular browser by the end of 2016.

I was surprised to learn that my beloved Firefox has only 11.68%, holding fairly steady over the last ten months.

Safari (popular on Macs) has 4.88%.

I was also surprised to see that Opera only has 1.68%, although it has steadily increased since April 2015. This bare-bones browser was designed for older, slower computers but became popular fir its increased speed even on new machines.

Microsoft Edge? It didn't make the list.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I don't put much stock into these type of polls where they manipulate it in a way that generates the outcome like they want.

For example, lets use IE.....for most OEM destop/laptop users that only use the computer for basic web surfing and emails have no idea that there are other browsers out there or for that matter what a browser is in the first place. They just know it's the thing that gets them to the internet. So that's all these users will ever use. Then when they find out there are choices and try them, they don't like them because they are to comfortable using IE.....and hence the numbers you're reporting.

Reaction score
Actually, Bass, I agree with you. Explorer is the most popular browser due to inertia--it comes pre-installed, and it works, so it's the world's most popular browser.

Reaction score
I've tried other browsers but always return to IE. The main reason being that Chrome, Firefox etc change my desktop icons to their logo.

Reaction score
I've tried other browsers but always return to IE. The main reason being that Chrome, Firefox etc change my desktop icons to their logo.
They should only change web page shortcut icons. And only to the default browser. You can have chrome and not have it as the default browser, hence keeping the icons associated with whatever browser you like. I have 5 browsers on my PC (IE, Edge, Chrome, Opera, and Firefox). The only one I never use is Edge. To me it's utterly useless. I also rarely use IE, since it's interface is still stuck in the early 2000's.

Reaction score
I had to pick up on this " With MS dropping support of Explorer, i"
Is that a quote from somewhere? For clarification, MS are dropping support for the earlier IEs. Their latest will continue to get full support.

Reaction score
I had to pick up on this " With MS dropping support of Explorer, i"
Is that a quote from somewhere? For clarification, MS are dropping support for the earlier IEs. Their latest will continue to get full support.

That's good to know davehc. I don't have a problem with it.

Reaction score
Edge is great! I got rid of IE which does not work well on W10 I use Edge on all 4 of my home PC's it's fast and efficient, now and then I use Cortana not often.

Reaction score
Do you realize that a little less than half of Windows users use Explorer?

Thanks to different posts on this forum, I decided to give Edge another try. My bookmarks had transferred over (I couldn't get them to transfer when I first got Wndows 10). It runs quickly and smoothly, and it is now my main browser.

So I came here to post about it, and it locked up. No, this is not a joke.

But I'm using it now, and I still like it.

Reaction score
I have tried most of the browsers but always go back to Firefox.
It just works for me and meets all my needs
Edge is to me is very basic and needs a lot of work. ;)

Reaction score
You have a point, Defender. It seems (from a variety of posts) that all of the major browsers work fine on Windows 10.

Reaction score
I use IE11 about 1% of the time and Chrome 99% of the time. I tried Edge when I first upgraded and didn't like it so I never looked back.

Reaction score
I just tried to print an Email with Edge and it asks if I will allow a popup, I say no....so nothing happens!
I try again several times and eventually allow the popup..... It's a blank window!!
So I open the mail with IE and print!
No problem.

Reaction score
Edge has become my preferred browser. I use Firefox (which I never had a problem with) for a few long bookmarks.

Reaction score
I just tried to print an Email with Edge and it asks if I will allow a popup, I say no....so nothing happens!
I try again several times and eventually allow the popup..... It's a blank window!!
So I open the mail with IE and print!
No problem.
Thanks for the like Vince but do you have an answer to the problem?

Ask a Question