SOLVED Move where restore points are stored?

Reaction score
I've turned on windows restore. I have an ssd as my C drive and thus don't want to burden this drive with restore points. I can't, however, find where to set windows 10 to store the restore points. Please advise.

Last edited:
Reaction score
System restore points are stored in a hidden folder called System Volume Information on the root of the C: drive.
Before you can find it, you will have to go to Folder Option > View > Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files " and check " Show hidden files, folders and drives ".

After you have found it, you will have to "Take ownership" to open it, and some steps I don't completely understand.
So, that's all I can tell you.

Google for the real and complete answer. There must be a complete tutorial compiled by Shawn aka Brink.

Reaction score
Thanks David. I'm not really interested in looking at them I just want Windows to store them on a different drive.

Reaction score
Everything I've read, system restore points are directly tied too the specific partition. Each partition saves restore point data to that specific drive/partition. They can't be moved.

Reaction score
Bigfeet, I think you are correct. I've been researching this and have found the same answer a couple of different places. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Reaction score
So you just spent hundreds of quid on Windows 10 - only to find that you do not actually own it - or have any access to make it do what YOU want it to - you can only put up with how MICROSOFT allow you to have your Windows 10.
Would you take that from FORD if you couldn't change a lightbulb yourself - would you put up with that if you couldn't choose what colour to paint your house, if your council only allowed you certain colours?
I BOUGHT MY WINDOWS 10 - and I'd like to have it perform how I want it to perform - not only how Microsoft allow me to have it perform.
Like Jim, I want to move my SRPs to a place where Microsoft updates or viruses can't delete them on me (check this forum on how to retrieve wiped data after an upgrade - see how helpful THAT is). But am I living in a free society/town/city/country? Like hell I am.

Reaction score
First off you don't "own" any version of Windows (or any software for that matter). You pay for a license to use it, per their Terms of Service. Secondly, I don't believe you've ever been able to move restore points to any other partition/drive.

There's always open source operating systems like Linux.

Ask a Question