Movie Maker

Reaction score
i have experienced that windows movie maker is not supported by windows 10
is their another free tool like this instead

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi monP,

Windows Movie Maker is not included in a Windows 10 installation, correct. However, you can still download that component from a Windows Essentials 2012 installation (i.e. When running the installation of Windows Essentials 2012, at the splash screen, What do you want to Install? you'd choose the second option: Choose the programs you want to install).

Rather than type out all the instructions for this which may be difficult to follow, here is a YouTube video that shows you how to get the download, and how to install it:

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
to be sure, do this means that the program will work with win 10,
i had this previously installed , nowaday i could'nt save the work id did

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I'm downloading it now.....a bit of an issue. I need to install .net framework 3. After installing that....Windows Essentials installed with no problems. I selected what I wanted...and all works.

Regedit32

Reaction score
to be sure, do this means that the program will work with win 10,
i had this previously installed , nowaday i could'nt save the work id did

Hi monP.

Yes Windows Movie Maker works in Windows 10 and you can save your project as a .WMV file for example by:
  • Clicking File
  • Next click Save movie > For computer
  • Sample Image below to demonstrate

Movie Maker Save 1.png

• This will open a new window where you use the drop arrow on the Save as type box to select Windows Media Video File
  • Image below to demonstrate

Movie Maker Save 2.png

Note: Microsoft have changed things a little on their webpage the video in previous post pointed to. You can still download Movie Maker via Windows Essentials 2012, however during the installation even if you do choose the second option to select what components you want to install; if you happen to all ready have Windows Essentials 2011 or earlier installed on your system, you will be required to update all components. All of this though is still Free at this time. If you would prefer to use a different Video Making application, then you can visit Microsoft's Store where there is a mix of free, and commercial apps available for purchase.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
i have experienced that windows movie maker is not supported by windows 10
is their another free tool like this instead

Windows Movie Maker works fine with Windows 10. You may have some installation or codec issues at first, but once you fix them, it works fine. Watch this video.

Reaction score
Hi monP.

Yes Windows Movie Maker works in Windows 10 and you can save your project as a .WMV file for example by:
  • Clicking File
  • Next click Save movie > For computer
  • Sample Image below to demonstrate

View attachment 2847

• This will open a new window where you use the drop arrow on the Save as type box to select Windows Media Video File
  • Image below to demonstrate

View attachment 2848

Note: Microsoft have changed things a little on their webpage the video in previous post pointed to. You can still download Movie Maker via Windows Essentials 2012, however during the installation even if you do choose the second option to select what components you want to install; if you happen to all ready have Windows Essentials 2011 or earlier installed on your system, you will be required to update all components. All of this though is still Free at this time. If you would prefer to use a different Video Making application, then you can visit Microsoft's Store where there is a mix of free, and commercial apps available for purchase.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
hello

i did exactly as you guided me , actually i had the strip ready and saved, but it wont no play
actually is is saved as mswmm

should i remake install after deleting this file or is their another solution

tks for yr advice

Regedit32

Reaction score
i did exactly as you guided me , actually i had the strip ready and saved, but it wont no play
actually is is saved as mswmm

Hi monP,

A project holds information about the arrangement and timing of the items that appear on the storyboard/timeline, which include audio and video clips, video transitions, video effects, and titles. It does not contain the actual audio, video, and picture source files, but rather references them as clips. You can edit clips in a project without changing the source files. Once you're satisfied with the sequence of clips, videos, and pictures on the storyboard or timeline of your project, you can publish the results and create a movie.

If the file you are trying to open has the extension .mswmm then you are attempting to play the Project and that is NOT the movie. You need to publish the project to make it a movie.

In my previous post I gave you an example of saving your project as a movie for computer using the Windows Media Video File format which would result in your project being publish as a Movie file with a .WMV extension. You could also have chosen an MPEG-4 format which would have resulted in a movie file with an .MP4 extension.

These are the only two extensions available in the recommended download I gave you.

That leads me to assume you are using a different version of Movie Maker, and possibly some third party codec files which are providing you other file formats to save as, and you presumably chose that with the project you saved.

Can you review my original post and check you followed the instructions correctly? In short you ought to have:
  1. Opened Movie Maker
  2. Opened your Project (i.e. the file with the .mswmm extension) *
  3. Edited it if you wanted to
  4. Clicked File | then clicked Save Movie > For Computer | then for the type click the drop arrow and selected Windows Media Video File
* Note: The fact your extension is .mswmm is a clue you are not using the same Movie Maker version as I suggested. The current version uses .wlmp for the project extension.

If you can confirm the version of Movie Maker you are using I'll see:

• Whether it is compatible with Windows 10, and
  • If it is compatible, then how to publish a movie in that version as this may be different to the instructions I gave you.
  • To confirm the Version of Movie Maker you are using, click File | About Movie Maker

Movie Maker About.png
Movie Maker About2.png

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
sorry i got the application down but in japanese characters thuse unusable
can i translate it onto latin characers

Ask a Question