Moving PC from Thailand to U.S.A.

Reaction score
I have a Windows 10 PC (upgraded from licensed Windows 7) built in Thailand that I will be taking with me to the U.S. permanently. Will the license still be valid in the U.S.?

Regedit32

Reaction score
As I understand it the License is for the machine itself. Unless you make a significant hardware change the license remains valid no matter where in the world you move to.

There is one issue though that you may run into. The Windows Store.

You may need to add to your Windows Store settings a new region (i.e. USA), and this you will also need to change your Payment settings to a US based payment method.

This page from Microsoft was written for the Windows 8 and 8.1 users, but you might as well take a look as it explains how to change settings in the Store for such cases.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows-8/use-windows-store-country-region-help

Given you will now be in a new region some of the built in apps for news, weather etcetera will need you to change your Region and time settings to function correctly. I assume when you upgraded to Windows 10 your region settings were for Thailand. Again this ought not affect Windows 10, but if at some time you need to reinstall Windows 10 you may need to temporarily change Region settings back to Thailand. Obviously, I've not had to do this, hence the " may need to ".

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I did this before, but on a new PC that hadn't yet been activated (Windows 7). My brother had to buy a new license for it since I had installed it with a regional (not international) Windows license. But since this is already activated, I guess the only thing to do is to give it a try. Worst thing that can happen is buying a new license.

Ask a Question