SOLVED Moving system (C:) partition to GPT drive

Reaction score
Hi all -

New here. Looking for some help with an annoying system issue.
Machine is a triple-boot box, which I built myself, with WIndows 10 and Ubuntu Linux system/root partitions booting from a SSD formatted MBR, and Apple MacOS from a second SSD which is GPT, using the Clover bootloader. Data partitions for all of the OS are on a 3TB GPT-formatted hard drive.

Currently using Linux GRUB bootloader to boot Win10 and Linux, but it (as it was installed on an MBR drive) can't boot the MacOS system. Right now, to boot MacOS, I have to go into BIOS boot menu every time, and it's getting annoying. Trying to make everything GPT so I can use one bootloader to rule them all.

First order of business - did an image backup of the MBR SSD to a second SSD and took the Mac SSD and the data drive offline.

Next, tried to use Windows' MBR2GPT utility to convert the Windows install over and set up an EFI partition on the copy (after deleting the Linux partition). It did do that, but there's *nothing in the EFI partition at all*, and apparently no boot records were written to the drive.

Next, wiped the copy SSD and tried doing a fresh install (version 1709) to it (GPT/UEFI mode). Worked fine, fresh install booted up, no problem. Did an image backup of that setup to a spare hard disk. However, there's apparently no easy way to migrate everything over to the new install (I don't have another key), and I don't want to re-install all of the multiple programs and settings from my working (MBR) system partition.

I had sized the system partition on the fresh install to be exactly the same as the working MBR C: partition, so I deleted it from the HD and copied the MBR C: partition to the HD (didn't touch the system reserved, EFI, or recovery partitions). The only difference was that in the original setup, it was the third partition; on the new GPT setup, it is the first). I didn't expect it to boot right up but hoped that the automatic repair routine would solve that (it has solved stuff like this for me when moving the system partition to a new drive, but all were MBR before). Well, it didn't; I've tried going into cmd and running CHKDSK /F, tried booting in Safe Mode. No joy.

So...is there ANY way to get this thing to boot my transplanted working partition? Is there a file that needs to be added or deleted on the C: drive, or a registry setting that I need to fix? Any help would be appreciated - thanks!!

P.S. I've thought about buying one of those 3rd-party utilities to do MBR to GPT conversion but hate paying $50-60 for a program I'll use only once (and, in addition, would like to get my hands dirty and learn how to do it myself). So I'd rather not go that route if possible - thanks again!

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
First of all I've never tried anything similar moving from a MBR environment to a GPT partition, however....
I've done some pretty convoluted stuff including renaming registry hives (to keep them safe) and then copying over those hives from the install I want to preserve all my software and settings and then copying over the respective profile, programs and programs (x86). All while booted into a Linux live distro.

It seems to me an easier way that might work would be....
In my case I would use my Acronis imaging software to create an image of the desired partition (C:\ only) and then use that to restore it to the respective partition on the new install. Leaving the existing EFI and System Reserved partitions untouched.

That seems like it would bring everything with it that would be needed (registry, programs, settings, etc.).
And as long as the partition was located appropriately, the Windows boot manager would see what it needed and launch Windows.

The only thing I'm not sure of is....
IF there is some super secret, hidden file that the boot manager expects to see on a working GPT (C:\) partition that is not present on the existing MBR (C:\) partition.

Reaction score
First of all I've never tried anything similar moving from a MBR environment to a GPT partition, however....
I've done some pretty convoluted stuff including renaming registry hives (to keep them safe) and then copying over those hives from the install I want to preserve all my software and settings and then copying over the respective profile, programs and programs (x86). All while booted into a Linux live distro.

In my case I would use my Acronis imaging software to create an image of the desired partition (C:\ only) and then use that to restore it to the respective partition on the new install. Leaving the existing EFI and System Reserved partitions untouched.

That seems like it would bring everything with it that would be needed (registry, programs, settings, etc.).
And as long as the partition was located appropriately, the Windows boot manager would see what it needed and launch Windows.

IF there is some super secret, hidden file that the boot manager expects to see on a working GPT (C:\) partition that is not present on the existing MBR (C:\) partition.

yes if it doesn't boot the Macrium Reflect has a boot repair tool that will connect your EFI to your C:\ and repair your boot sector to boot again. This will work however ensure that your MBR OS is 64 Bit as 32 bit is not supported in UEFI/GPT

Reaction score

I have an old version of Acronis buried somewhere...haven't used it for a long time because I make image backups via GParted in Linux, which has worked fine for me. One would think that copying the partition directly from the image backup would do the same thing as you suggest with Acronis, unless Acronis somehow merges a working boot setup (from the fresh install) with the data, settings and app files from the backup. Thanks for the idea, though, might be worth a try.

Reaction score
yes if it doesn't boot the Macrium Reflect has a boot repair tool that will connect your EFI to your C:\ and repair your boot sector to boot again. This will work however ensure that your MBR OS is 64 Bit as 32 bit is not supported in UEFI/GPT

OK, cool - haven't used it before - does their "free" version do this or is this capability only included in their pay version...it says that it can fix "non-booting systems", but as we know, that can be for a lot of reasons - but hey, it's worth a try - will download it and give it a shot when I get home. I assume it can be burned to a "live" USB or CD? Thanks. Yes, OS is 64-bit.

Reaction score
I converted 2 machines using Macrium Reflect.

Reaction score
OK, cool - haven't used it before - does their "free" version do this or is this capability only included in their pay version...it says that it can fix "non-booting systems", but as we know, that can be for a lot of reasons - but hey, it's worth a try - will download it and give it a shot when I get home. I assume it can be burned to a "live" USB or CD? Thanks. Yes, OS is 64-bit.

I'm not sure that the free version does, I think so though since ver 7 has been released, there are two free versions one if the free version the other is a free trial 30 days. I started with Ver 5 so not sure what either of the free version is capable of there website should explain all. No support with the free version but there KB is quite extensive

Reaction score
Comp Cmndo said:
I converted 2 machines using Macrium Reflect.

I'm not sure that the free version does, I think so though since ver 7 has been released, there are two free versions one if the free version the other is a free trial 30 days. I started with Ver 5 so not sure what either of the free version is capable of there website should explain all. No support with the free version but there KB is quite extensive

Excellent. Will give it a shot. Thanks!

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Macrium Reflect did the trick! Easy. Windows (my previous setup) booted right up afterward, then I was able to reinstall the Grub bootloader so now can boot both Windows and Linux from the new GPT drive. Thanks again!!

Ask a Question