Moving to new Computer - migration issues

Reaction score
In a few days my new Dell (XPS 8900) will arrive and I am worried for the massive work to move licenced programs and applications to the new system.
I have bought a program from Dell who claim the program will transfer files easily but can it really handle installations like Office (365) and FSX?
Cant I just take out my C:/ SSD disc and place it in the new computer? Guess not...

Appreciate any support
Åke

Reaction score
Office 365 is easy imho. I have the 5 user sub so I just go to my Office account and de-install from the old machine and install it on the new one. Takes 15 minutes.

For me it is all those other useful programs that one accumulates over the years downloaded freeware/shareware but I might suspect that Dell's program might work well with a lot of those.

Your old C drive probably does not have the right chipset drivers for a new machine and would fail immediately.

Reaction score
For some games, like Steam Games, there is a place where the game files are kept and you user files. If you know where that is for FSX it would make it easier to transfer those. I have no experience with FSX and Win 10.

You don't say what OS you will moving from, so as Tim mentions, some older programs and/or drivers may not like Windows 10. A clean install is always best to make sure everything is where it should be.

Reaction score
Actually Saltgrass a lot of those old programs will be fine...it is the "sophisticated" ones that use the registry or that have their own DLLs that are stored not in their own directory that are the difficult ones...they usually need to be re-installed.

Example being the MS W7 games from Winaero. They install and run...you can make a shortcut and they work fine. But if you want to pin them to start you need to search around for an old W8 .msi file and put that somewhere recognisable to W10 so that they will 're-install'.

Reaction score
Hi, great thanks for your suggestions. I am moving from an old Dell XPS 8000 (2009) where I have upgraded to W10 Pro last autumn, and yesterday I made the heavy update to version 1607. It works just great but the computer behaves peculiar sometimes with sudden restarts (when cold) etc, that´s the reason for the retiring.
I have Steam for the TS2016 but the FSX runs still under the non-Steam version since several years with a massive addons etc which makes me concerned.
Finally I have installed Windows Media center from the patch released in a forum and it works great but I am not able to hook up on my Xbox 360, but that´s another story.

Ask a Question