MS allows users with Win 7 retail versions to download ISO but not for OEM versions. Why ?

Reaction score
I'd read about this quite a while back. In fact, I had posted about this info but without proof.
Now I have it.
Microsoft will only allow users who have retail versions of Win 7 to download the ISO but refuses users who have Win 7 pre-installed.
Why ?
Nobody is making Win 7 anymore. So, what is the problem ?
MS shut down Digital River and now this. Why Users with OEM pre-installed get singled out ?

Here is the link to Microsoft Software Download :
http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

I used my pre-installed Win 7 Home Premium product key and tried to download the ISO. It rejected my genuine product key.

Image 2.jpg

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I don't like it either.....but my guess is; because it's an OEM, there might be some proprietary hardware/software needed for the device to work properly from the OEM OS install. You gotta love bloatware!

Reaction score
No, I don't buy that.

MS had no problem with Digital River for YEARS. I even used it to download my Vista ISO years ago.
They allowed it then, and now suddenly they shut it down. Why ?
Why punish the Win 7 OEM users ONLY ?
That would be a damn shameful way to force Win 7 OEM users to move to Win8/8.1 or higher.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That would be a damn shameful way to force Win 7 OEM users to move to Win8/8.1 or higher.
It's a multi-gazillion dollar conglomerate .......
I don't think they even know the meaning of the word "shame"

I've been associated with this industry for a pretty good chunk of my life. It provided very well for my family and me and allowed me to retire very comfortably at 55.
Now at 65, I'll admit that watching how things are going, it's a bit shameful, but......
That's really across the board and not just Microsoft.

I was reading something just the other day about a new device (I assume for messaging) that was 100% emoji based.
I won't even hint at my personal sentiments, but.......
I suspect whomever they are, they'll likely make millions.
AND
That seems to be the bottom line.

Ask a Question