MS Denies Forcing Win 10 Upgrade

Regedit32

Reaction score
So now that myth is proven false, what will the next conspiracy be?

Reaction score
That's like a panhandler asking for $5 you say no, he says Yes, reaches into your pocket and takes $5.
My Opinion only. MS now have to much control over users and the market with the Win 10 upgrade, It appears they want full control over OS, gaming, apps, fitbits, and now they have an aggressive sales campaign (pushing) with the bigger better Surface Pro 4 PC. If I have to by a new PC I just might go out and buy a MAC.

Reaction score
The one system which upgraded on me was one on which I had clicked on something like a "learn more" button. I never actually clicked anything to "agree" to the upgrade but I could not stop it after that. I suppose what I learned was to not click on anything if I wanted to maintain my system.

The fact Microsoft continues trying to install the special update even after it has been hidden multiple times, shows Microsoft doesn't really care that you don't want the upgrade. I can understand their reasons for wanting everyone on Win 10 but I don't agree with their tactics.

I will be interested to see what folks tell the OP in the other thread just posted about this subject.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I will be interested to see what folks tell the OP in the other thread just posted about this subject.
IF this is the thread you are talking about
https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...ve-customer-pcs-upgrading-to-windows-10.9224/
It would appear that he supports some "customers" using "Point Of Sale" software, so one might assume he is technically savvy, although he has a second post here
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/hard-drive-destroyed-after-updateing-to-windows-10.9203/
which remarks about a "dual boot" system and I'm not sure if that is separate and unique having nothing to do with his "customers" or not.
I can't imagine a business, dependent on Point of Sale computers dual booting.

As far as I'm concerned, July 29th can't come fast enough. I'm afraid that Microsoft has indeed, stepped over the line with this upgrade push and while I haven't been successfully "tricked" myself, I have seen and witnessed and had to uncheck the "Windows 10 Upgrade" download from optional updates, while working on a number of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 machines recently. I think that, that is just wrong and deceitful if for no other reason than consuming a users bandwidth to download a 3 gig file of something they don't even want.

Reaction score
When I received the MS offer to reserve the Windows 10 upgrade I promptly signed up and upgraded at the first opportunity. Lo and behold, Windows 10 caused all sorts of problems and I had to spend $'s to an on site technician to return my system to Windows 7. It appeared that the upgrade was incompatible with my computer so I had to suffer the constant upgrade nagging for a year. One day I left my computer to fix a meal and when I returned I found that the Windows 10 upgrade was in progress behind my back and without my acceptance. I was extremely upset at this sneaky act by MS. I didn't dare stop the process since it was already under way and now I have Windows 10 whether or not I want it. MICROSOFT, DON'T FORCE UPGRADES!

Reaction score
Dennis, I believe that you can still revert back to 7. Type the word Revert in the search box in the left bottom corner of your screen.

Reaction score
IF this is the thread you are talking about
https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...ve-customer-pcs-upgrading-to-windows-10.9224/
It would appear that he supports some "customers" using "Point Of Sale" software, so one might assume he is technically savvy, although he has a second post here
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/hard-drive-destroyed-after-updateing-to-windows-10.9203/
which remarks about a "dual boot" system and I'm not sure if that is separate and unique having nothing to do with his "customers" or not.
I can't imagine a business, dependent on Point of Sale computers dual booting.
...snip

I have been waiting for an answer from adamjohnson abut 'customers' for a couple of days...you can see my question in the thread. As for the other thread....running Tech preview aka insider software of a production machine is not sensible.

Real customer systems should be running Pro versions and be locked down to keep software installs and the like from being done.

Reaction score
What's all the fuss about anyway eventually you would have W10, which by the way is Amazing! and all you needed to do to not get it is set your updates to not automatically update... Duh! Time is running out or if you want it later you can pay $120.00 or buy a new PC either way you lose!

Reaction score
Welcome back, Aputernut! I thoroughly enjoy Windows 10, but some people don´t. They resent being tricked into upgrading. While they probably will use 10 in the future, they prefer the stability that they have on their current machines with either 7 or 8x.

I may disagree with their choice, but it´s still their choice.

Reaction score
I love Windows 10 too. Installed on 4 desktops Win Pro and one Laptop Win Home edition. All of the machines are running like Swiss watches. Some users take note, install Win 10 now, enjoy it, and no tweaking it at least until the final release is up and running.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
To sum it up, MS insists that you are forced to upgrade only after you have previously agreed to the upgrade
I just replaced a motherboard on a Dell Desktop. After which I installed a clean custom install of Windows 7 Pro.
I immediately switched the update option to download and let me pick.
The initial download of update offerings consisted of some 212 updates after which the GWX Icon appeared in the taskbar system tray / notification area. Never touched it.
After a few more rounds of updates and concluding with no updates are available for your computer, I was never, ever, at any time subjected to a Windows 10 upgrade screen, neither as a recommended update nor as an optional update. So.... either they've changed their approach to nagging or I managed to be extremely lucky.
This particular computer was a business owned computer that runs some proprietary software not supported on Windows 10. I was prepared to run GWX Control Panel or otherwise avoid the update to Windows 10 by other means. Turns out it wasn't necessary at all.
So my thoughts are that, at some point folks have either played with the GWX Icon and reserved a copy or perhaps leaving updates set to automatic, download and install, might be at fault.

Reaction score
When I was running Win 7 I always had my updates set to download, but let me choose what to install. Never had a problem with GWX either. On the other hand I disabled the notification the first time it showed up over a year ago.
Trouble I have Win 10 settings for automatic, I don't want to miss any updates at this stage. What would you recommend. Thanks!

Bif

Reaction score
As Trouble said, I don't have a problem with the system and the upgrade but a major problem with their tactics...they did indeed "force" me to upgrade as I clicked nothing nor agreed to anything but I've resigned myself to the fact that (1). I like the OS (2). it was inevitable (3). complaining never gets you anywhere.
I have no idea of MS's vision any longer nor do I care.. but with that being said, the choices remain,
Windows
Mac
Linux
and all of them have their burps and farts.

Reaction score
I
I love Windows 10 too. Installed on 4 desktops Win Pro and one Laptop Win Home edition. All of the machines are running like Swiss watches. Some users take note, install Win 10 now, enjoy it, and no tweaking it at least until the final release is up and running.

I concur but if running W10 Pro I'd defer upgrades/updates (by editing Group Policy) to allow them to prove themselves first.

Reaction score
Hello all,

As many of you have already heard my dissent with the new Microsoft entity, I will be short. It is the new software rental tactics that is behind it all. As a retired soul, I am trying to 'own' as much as as can before I move into a fixed income that will dissipate at an alarming rate as we have seen in just the last 10 years.

Now they want to rent ( on a yearly basis), here is a quote from Norton "MS Office 365 is $365 US/ year from the store.:mad: I think MS have hurt themselves with the deceitful Windows 10 upgrade forceful marketing." Darn right Norton! Folks, read carefully! That is each and every year! And we will all find out shortly, how much the OS is going to rent for on a yearly basis! Then if you like to play solitary, well you can rent that today at $9.99 USD!

In the past, I have outright purchased my software. Thousands of $ worth, with the lions share going to Microsoft. I think I paid about 500 CAD for Office 10 professional but thought I owned it. And paid big for Win 7 Professional and though I owned it too. Well folks, apparently we never owned it and from now on we are going to have to pay again year after year.

if you are with me on the inflation, (fruits and vegetables have tripled in 5 years), our software rental fees are going to be just too expensive for the middle class retiring soul. Although obvious, it'is just incredible that many of us just won't be able to pay software rent in 10 years from now. Unless you have an inheritance...

If Microsoft survives the next 5 years, it will be only something corporations can afford, and they are going to have to push those costs down to us. Linux bring it on! MS, clean your drawers or be the next Blackberry....

Cheers! Allan

Reaction score
Looks like Apple might be heading the same way by encouraging third party app developers to introduce app renting instead of outright purchase. That way Apple will get an annual cut to boost their outrageous profits even more.

Ask a Question