SOLVED MS Download Strategy

Reaction score
Last night I turned on my Windows 10 Pro machine and decided to download last weeks cumulative update 1607 KB3194496
It started to download and hung at 51% for an hour or more, with no noticeable Ethernet activity. I restarted my PC and restored to the pre-update restore point that I had previously created. I checked for updates again and now there was a notification of 2 updates, cumulative update 1607 KB3194496 and Windows Defender. 1607 KB3194496 downloaded / installed OK the second time and I restarted the PC manually. Back in update settings it said the PC was up to date and no notification of Windows Defender update. The 51% and failed update cost me an extra 2 GB of data. The download of Win 10 updates irritates me to no end. They need to do better, they have lost consumer confidence. On my Laptop I reinstalled Win 7 and a years worth of important updates (over 300) that installed effortlessly just like the good old days. I guess with Windows 10 it's unfortunate what we have to endure when downloading updates, but my friends these are the good old day's :(

Reaction score
The probable reason that you got the Windows 7 updates so fast is that there are far fewer people accessing those servers for those old updates. Although the Windows 7 installed base is much larger, most have already installed those updates. Whereas a new update for Windows 10 not only has a high demand because it is new, but because Microsoft is requiring the updates to be installed within a short period of time after their release. Hence more people are downloading them.

If you want to speed the downloads, go to the Settings/Updates page and click on Advanced Options. On the resulting page, click on the link, click on 'Choose how updates are delivered'. You can allow Windows to download updates from other PCs on your network or even choose to allow them to be installed from other PCs on the network. Be aware, it also allows others to download updates (or pieces of updates) from your computer.

If you don't like that idea, turn on sharing to download the update and turn it off right after you have received it.

Reaction score
"Choose how updates are delivered" My switch somehow got turned on after the anniversary update.
I lost 2GB of data from my plan in less than 15 minutes from MS stealing my data and uploading updates to other machines on the internet. I happened to notice the activity when I saw my modem LEDs going crazy, When I checked Task Manager "Ethernet" it showed that data was being uploaded, data that I paid for. My switch is, and will remain OFF. I check the switch setting after every update now.

Reaction score
I don't quite understand. You have a data limit on your home Ethernet plan? I understand that you might have a limit on a phone plan, but not on an regular ISP plan. What provider are you using? I want to stay away from them.

Reaction score
"...I understand that you might have a limit on a phone plan, but not on an regular ISP plan..."

It's been SOP for Cox to assign data limits on their cable plans (at least, the last time I checked). I don't think they enforce them much (certainly not in my area) but they for sure have them - you buy a "speed" and, at the same time, a "maximum data" amount with each plan they sell.

I would think most ISPs do this so I don't think it is the exception.

Ask a Question