SOLVED MS Office 2016

Reaction score
I posted this question over on the MS Office Forum with no replies, so thought I would give it a shot here.

" I purchased Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016, 1 user, PC Key Card, in Feb 2017. I installed the program on my home PC and it has worked great for me. I'm now faced with the possibility of needing to replace my PC - due to its age and capabilities.

Will I be able to reuse my [relatively new] MS Office 2016 on a newly purchased PC?"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes, but since it is a single device license you will need to remove it from the machine that it is currently installed on.
Retail licenses are transferrable and subscription licenses (such as Office 365 that are associated with your Microsoft ID) are likewise, you just need to log into your Office Live Account, click your current install and then click the "Deactivate install" link.

Reaction score
You can move a license to another PC only when you have removed it from the first PC. You can do that by wiping the PC’s hard drive or even uninstalling the key from your Windows system, you can find detail process of how to uninstall the key in this article-How To Uninstall Your Windows Product Key Before You Sell Your PC (find it in google, I can't paste it here in a link as it might be detected as spam link)

Regedit32

Reaction score
You can move a license to another PC only when you have removed it from the first PC. You can do that by wiping the PC’s hard drive or even uninstalling the key from your Windows system, you can find detail process of how to uninstall the key in this article-How To Uninstall Your Windows Product Key Before You Sell Your PC (find it in google, I can't paste it here in a link as it might be detected as spam link)

You are permitted to post links.

However, in this instance the link I assume you would like them to look at is not relevant, as the person wants to transfer their Retail license for Microsoft Office 2016, not the Windows operating system.

Reaction score
Actually not. The article guides how to uninstall the key. And it might be also found at the Microsoft's support forum. Anyway the question focus on "Will I be able to reuse my [relatively new] MS Office 2016 on a newly purchased PC?", and the direct answer for that is the key can be reused.

Reaction score
As you did not post the link, I can only hazard a guess as to its origin. But, googling the exact phrase only leads to numerous methods of uninstalling the OS product key.
However, reading the OP, I think the poster needs both this, and Troubles suggestion in Post #2 ( Possibly First)

Reaction score
Yes, but since it is a single device license you will need to remove it from the machine that it is currently installed on.
Retail licenses are transferrable and subscription licenses (such as Office 365 that are associated with your Microsoft ID) are likewise, you just need to log into your Office Live Account, click your current install and then click the "Deactivate install" link.
Thanks for your input. That answered my question. Best wishes for a great week.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question