MS Office: Cheaper Places To Purchase ?

Reaction score
Hello,

Have a new PC, and would like to get the latest
MS WORD and EXCEL for it.
These are really the only two programs I am interested in.I can use Libre Office of course,
but would prefer the MS product.

Not interested in their subscription plans.
Best Buy has the regular Office for $140.

WOW !

No way i can afford that.

Are there any other (legitimate) options to purchasing (just) these
two programs from somewhere at lower cost ?

Thanks,
B.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There are lots of places selling cheaper licenses, but many of these are just volume keys that they illegally distribute - it may work for a while, but then it could be pulled without any notice.

The cost of the official pack doesn't vary by much, $140 sounds about right. I don't think it's possible to buy standalone versions of Word and Excel anymore.

Reaction score
I remember over $500 for that main bits ( Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and Powerpoint) for a single PC. When I retired and lost my corporate account I used LibreOffice for a few years.

Nowadays I am happy with $CAD100 per year for the whole thing

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd just use Libre if those are the only two programs you need.

Reaction score
Ditto for LibreOffice, only thing it doesn't have of importance is something like Outlook or Publisher. Just a note, older versions of Office do run on Win10, have Office 2000 on 1 IP computer, Office 2007 on 2, Office 2010 on 1 and Office 2013 on my main. If it sounds like I have too many computers you're right, most have been rehabbed/rescued from recycle and I haven't much money in them, willing to sell to someone that has a need. The versions of Office EULA allowed a "workstation" and a "portable device".

Reaction score
I'm kind of in the same boat. I have 10 running computers ranging from Windows 98 to 10. I'm kind of lucky to have 5 old technet keys for Office 2007. But I run Libre on a couple of my Windows PC's and my 2 Linux laptops. Oddly enough I'm running an older version of OpenOffice on the Windows 98 machine. But yeah, short of Outlook and Publisher, the Libre Office suite is perfectly fine, and I've never found any incompatibility with Office files.

Reaction score
I've been running office on my computers forever e.g. office 2007, 2003 and others that I've used before! I'm running office 2013 pro plus on my windows 10 pro and its been working perfectly on my existing computer for ages. Listen and take note that the days of illegitimate keys, torrents copies with KMSpico downloads etc etc are over, get real and be legitimate! Also, there is nothing wrong with subscription(s) when it comes to a great product like MS Office! If you want to work with MS Office (as you state, you have to get real) then you have to pay, as most devices like Windows 10 computers and tablets, iPads, iPhones, Androids phones and tablets etc etc then you ether have to subscription and/or pay your way (which I have) and is the way to go, as its the most convenient way to get to Office 365 or any personal way to office, which is a great product and at only US$99.00 per year is pretty cheap to what you get e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, OneNote and Access, Publisher (on your PC only) with Skype and OneDrive with 1Tb of storage. This is the new and most convenient way of doing any office applications, I've used it on all my devices allover the world and it works perfectly for me. Otherwise, you won't have ms office to use and you wont get the ms office product which is the greatest product, its up to you as you can't have both of not paying like you want 'get real'!!!

Last edited:

Ask a Question