MS Outlook adds an extra Sender line. How to get rid of it?

Reaction score
Somehow, I tripped something that adds an extra line to the Sender line in my Microsoft Outlook in Windows 10(formerly Hotmail). Now I get TWO indications of who the sender is, instead of just one. The extra sender line is in smaller font, and appears just above the “normal” sender name. The “Junk” page doesn’t have this doubling up feature. I’ve gone through every settings and option feature, and none of them even mention it. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of the additional sender line? (I wish I had the old Hotmail. It was much better and easier to use than Outlook.)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can only guess that your are actually talking about the new Windows 10 "Mail" app and mistakenly calling it outlook, which it is really, really not.
I'm not sure what you are calling "Hotmail" perhaps Windows Live Mail, which is still available and a much better mail client in my opinion. Maybe take a look and see if it provides a better email client, more to your liking.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/essentials
You can choose to only install the Live Mail part of the Essentials Suite of applications, you need not install all of them.

Reaction score
I can only guess that your are actually talking about the new Windows 10 "Mail" app and mistakenly calling it outlook, which it is really, really not.
I'm not sure what you are calling "Hotmail" perhaps Windows Live Mail, which is still available and a much better mail client in my opinion. Maybe take a look and see if it provides a better email client, more to your liking.
You can choose to only install the Live Mail part of the Essentials Suite of applications, you need not install all of them.
I think there needs to be a sticky on this mail thing. Outlook vs Office Outlook. Live mail, Windows mail, Hot mail. W10 Mail. I don't use any of them but as you say it is confusing what posters are actually talking about.
(While you and Ian are composing the sticky, how about a definitive, simple words one on getting and using an ISO to do a clean install vs doing a reset and so on.) The info is all in the forum but it does take some finding to get the latest stuff.

Reaction score
=========================
I’m no email aficionado. All I know is, before I had Windows 10, I was perfectly satisfied with the Hotmail email program. Windows 10 didn’t ask if I wanted to change to Outlook, it simply changed it. Before the program starts, it displays the word “Outlook” on the screen in a very bold font, and then when the program is running, the website address is Outlook.live.com. Thus, I assume that this is Outlook rather than Windows Live Mail. Either way, I’m trying to get rid of the extra “Sender” line, which appears in smaller font, above the normal Sender line. So I repeat: If anyone has any suggestions on how to get rid of that extra sender line, I would certainly be most appreciative.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I’m no email aficionado.
Me either. Probably one of the reasons I actually use "Outlook", the full featured email client that is part of the Office Suite product.
Before the program starts, it displays the word “Outlook” on the screen in a very bold font, and then when the program is running, the website address is Outlook.live.com.
That would suggest that whatever "the program" is that you are clicking on to launch it, is subsequently opening a web browser.
Now..... to further the confusion (mine, not necessarily yours) when I open a web browser and go to either Hotmail.com or Outlook.com it resolves to the following URL
https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa...ru=inbox&lc=1033&id=64855&mkt=en-us&cbcxt=mai
AND then after I successfully authenticate to the site it resolves to the following URL
https://blu169.mail.live.com/default.aspx?rru=inbox
I never see "Outlook.live.com"
AND
That is why I posed the earlier questions.
In an attempt to determine exactly what you are clicking on to launch your email client

Perhaps if it was a desktop shortcut created earlier (before the upgrade) to take you directly to your email on the web (in a browser rather than from within an email client application) maybe just opening up a fresh browser page without clicking anything in advance, and typing Hotmail.com into the URL address bar at the very top, might give you the opportunity to construct a new shortcut to use for future use.

Reaction score
I don't use the Windows Mail but the real Outlook. On the options tab there may be a way to remove the extra line.

Since opening Windows Mail does take you to Outlook.com, Trouble may be fighting an uphill battle to make a distinction. But perhaps that is what Microsoft is aiming for so a transition is more easily accepted by users.

Since I only have pop mail accounts, I do not use Outlook.com.

Reaction score
I think that if you sync your outlook.com account with your pop3 outlook account you will get that. I do not have mine synced and never have or will.

Ask a Question