SOLVED MS Update KB3150513

Reaction score
I received update "2017-05 Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3150513) this morning
I also received the same update on May 2nd. Does anyone know what this is all about< Did MS screw up on the first update?

Regedit32

Reaction score
That particular KB has been re-released 10 times in the last year Norton.

The latest one you are now seeing is identical to the previous release, with three exceptions:
  • Appraiser.sdb
  • Appraiser_data.ini
  • Appraiser_telemetryrunlist.xml
These have been updated as this is how Microsoft scans your system and sends back data to prevent sending updates via Windows Update Service that will not work on your machine. At least that is the theory.

The 1607 versions are primarily used to determine whether your machine is ready to receive Creator, or whether you have items that do not meet the requirements for this upgrade, in which case, you will not be offered the Creator update.

Microsoft are not saying much about this KB, but my assumption given the numerous bug issues over the previous 10 releases, the updates are checking for more items that will not work happily with Creator, now that Microsoft are aware of the issues - courtesy of the slow roll out thus far.​

Reaction score
KB3150513 was installed on my stable Windows 10 Pro OS system on June 9, 2017. Since then I've had 3 system crashes all with ID 41 Task Category (63) in 3 days. In almost 8 years on the same base system (same MB) I've never seen a system crash. Used WhoCrashed to look at the minidump info (not much help). Ran 2 full passes of MemTest86 with no errors found.

So with the dumps written a real hardware issue should be ruled out and with the almost a 3 hour two pass test run of MemTest86 a success my 4GB of Corsair memory should be good. Thus my guess is a bad driver for my desktop configuration somewhere in KB3150513! I've not installed any other software or software update in this time frame. Note: I build my own systems and this one is about 8 years old but with updates like faster CPU, more memory and addition HDs over the years but with in same MB, Power Supply and case. It's been very stable. A list of all hardware and software is long so I'll leave that out for now.

Net: Should I just back out this notorious KB3150513 update (issued many times) or wait until MS fixes it? I'm 76 so I'm not sure I'll be around when MS gets it fixed in 10 or 20 years!

The system crashes are "random" in that they have been with different apps running. So it's like save, save, save if you are doing real work as the next crash could be just a millisecond away.

Ask a Question