MS Word and Word and W Docs have left my computer.

Reaction score
After W 10 install everything worked fine. Since yesterday all my doc files are gone. I have searched the drive and every doc file saved in Word folder is missing. Even the "W" in the task bar is gone.

HELP! Bob

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Bob and welcome to the forum.
When I panic (and I often do when I can't find something that I know has to be there) I resort to using a third party search tool called "Everything" from here http://www.voidtools.com/downloads/
Seems to continue to work fine in Windows 10.
You might want to give it a try and just simply search for *.doc or *.docx
See if that might show where they are hiding.

Which version of Word are you running? Can you still launch it from its' executable?
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\WINWORD.EXE
for me, yours may be slightly different depending on version and bit architecture.

Reaction score
Hello Bob and welcome to the forum.
When I panic (and I often do when I can't find something that I know has to be there) I resort to using a third party search tool called "Everything" from here http://www.voidtools.com/downloads/
Seems to continue to work fine in Windows 10.
You might want to give it a try and just simply search for *.doc or *.docx
See if that might show where they are hiding.

Which version of Word are you running? Can you still launch it from its' executable?
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\WINWORD.EXE
for me, yours may be slightly different depending on version and bit architecture.

Word is missing from the file list and everywhere on the drive as are all my stored pictures. I am about to use the search tool. As of now my stuff is gone. Could it have gone to online storage in w-10? I don't know w-10 well enough to know if that could happen. I prefer to have my files on my computer in case of power failures and communication failures here in the hinter lands.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Could it have gone to online storage in w-10?
No.
I prefer to have my files on my computer in case of power failures and communication failures here in the hinter lands.
Most of us do. I only add items to my one drive folder that I choose to keep in the cloud.
As of now my stuff is gone
That doesn't make any sense. Have you checked
C:\Windows.OLD
AND
C:\Users\YourUserName
OR
C:\Users\AnotherUserName
??

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Following a restart all is well and fixed. I did become acquainted with W-10 during my panic.
Again thanks to all.

Reaction score
No.

Most of us do. I only add items to my one drive folder that I choose to keep in the cloud.

That doesn't make any sense. Have you checked
C:\Windows.OLD
AND
C:\Users\YourUserName
OR
C:\Users\AnotherUserName
??

Thanks for the help. Following a restart all is well and fixed. I did become acquainted with W-10 during my panic.
Again thanks to all.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Bob.
Glad to hear that you managed to resolve the issue.
Regards
Randy

Ask a Question