msn.com is not responding

Reaction score
Hello,

About 3 weeks ago W10 updated automatically. Afterwards I frequently get a frozen webpage followed by a pop-up at the bottom of the screen saying: "(name of webpage that I happen to be viewing) is not responding" and there is a control button in the lower right hand corner that says: recover web page. When I click on this button, a pop-up occurs in the middle of the screen that says: Windows is searching for a solution to the problem, suddenly this pop-up disappears and the page appears to reload and starts working. This occurs on msn.com as well as other pages. I know you may say well the problem solves itself. BUT it happens over and over and over wasting my precious time. I am too old to allow crappy software to waste what time I have left. This problem did not exist prior to that update. Using: HP Pavilion with IE 11.103.10586.0 update 11.0.28(KB3134814)
on Comcast Arris Wi-Fi modem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I too have experienced the same problem with Internet Explorer on some webpages.
I suspect that it may have something to do with the composition of the page and bits of its' component parts, maybe ads and such.
I've all but resigned myself to using Chrome and or Firefox for viewing some of these sites, hoping that at some point either they will change or I.E. will actually fix itself.

Reaction score
I log in to reply to Noob and guess what message popped up. Yep, windows10forums.com is not responding. It is sad when W10, IE, msn.com, and windows10forums.com do not co-operate with each other. I trust Google and Firefox even less than MSN. Don't hold your breath Noob.

Reaction score
I have not experienced the problem (so far) but it certainly seems to be occurring with users..
A couple of things you might try, which has been successful with many.
1. Right click the start button and, in the run box, type services.msc. Scroll down the list to DNS Client. It should be running and on "Automatic". If not the latter, double click and change it to automatic.
2. Are you running a third party Antivirus, by chance? If so temporarily disable it, and see if the problem has gone away.
3. Sometimes the proxy settings are interfered with by programs or other encounters on the web. You could try clearing these also. This, as you can see, relates to IE, but the IE settings are closely interacting (wrongly, imo) with Edge.
1. Again, right click the Start and click the Control Panel
1.Open Internet Options- Connections- LAN Settings
2.Uncheck, if not already, "Use a Proxy server for your LAN ,and click "ok".
3.Restart your Browser

Last edited:

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Hello,

About 3 weeks ago W10 updated automatically. Afterwards I frequently get a frozen webpage followed by a pop-up at the bottom of the screen saying: "(name of webpage that I happen to be viewing) is not responding" and there is a control button in the lower right hand corner that says: recover web page. When I click on this button, a pop-up occurs in the middle of the screen that says: Windows is searching for a solution to the problem, suddenly this pop-up disappears and the page appears to reload and starts working. This occurs on msn.com as well as other pages. I know you may say well the problem solves itself. BUT it happens over and over and over wasting my precious time. I am too old to allow crappy software to waste what time I have left. This problem did not exist prior to that update. Using: HP Pavilion with IE 11.103.10586.0 update 11.0.28(KB3134814)
on Comcast Arris Wi-Fi modem.
Have you installed the late update
KB3140743 1511 10586,122 came out last week
That cured a lot of the problem some members have been having with internet explorer

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I log in to reply to Noob and guess what message popped up. Yep, windows10forums.com is not responding
I can honestly say that I have never received that specific error message when accessing this site. The only problem I've ever had with this site is when I've been able to confirm that the hosting service was actually experiencing a problem as was briefly down, for some reason or other and that has been extremely rare.
My issue seems to be with sites that have a fare amount of Ads. I don't know if they are flash or swf (also flash), or silverlight holdouts, or html5 or what they are.
IF I were having the problem randomly with simple (no ads / no flash content) sites, then I would start with resetting I.E. back to factory defaults and I'd probably run the native System File Checker for good measure and maybe flush my DNS cache also.

Reaction score
I have not experienced the problem (so far) but it certainly seems to be occurring with users..
A couple of things you might try, which has been successful with many.
1. Right click the start button and, in the run box, type services.msc. Scroll down the list to DNS Client. It should be running and on "Automatic". If not the latter, double click and change it to automatic.
2. Are you running a third party Antivirus, by chance? If so temporarily disable it, and see if the problem has gone away.
3. Sometimes the proxy settings are interfered with by programs or other encounters on the web. You could try clearing these also. This, as you can see, relates to IE, but the IE settings are closely interacting (wrongly, imo) with Edge.
1. Again, right click the Start and click the Control Panel
1.Open Internet Options- Connections- LAN Settings
2.Uncheck, if not already, "Use a Proxy server for your LAN ,and click "ok".
3.Restart your Browser

Reaction score
davehc,

I got the "W10forums not responding..." again.

Opened per your instructions all items set as you suggested, no changes necessary. No third party A-V. When I did my W10 upgrade, Norton was removed in the process.

I have this silly idea that when updates are sent that they should be tested for compatibility before being sent and not require users to spend hours upon hours trying to solve poorly designed software. To rub salt in the wounds no customer support is available except public forums where a person might "get lucky."

Thanks for your suggestions.

Reaction score
hTcone,

I get automatic updates and I did receive an update last week. Don't know the exact number but it is probably the one you mention.

tick, tick, tick, the clock continues...I have wasted enough time today.

Thanks and good night to all.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
hTcone,

I get automatic updates and I did receive an update last week. Don't know the exact number but it is probably the one you mention.

tick, tick, tick, the clock continues...I have wasted enough time today.

Thanks and good night to all.

New update just arrived
This is what this update fixes
March 8, 2016 — KB3140768 (OS Build 10586.164)
This update includes quality improvements and security fixes. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

• Improved support for Bluetooth, wearables, and apps accessing contacts.
  • Improved reliability in app installation and Narrator.
  • Improved performance for hibernation, content entry in apps, and downloading and installing updates.
  • Fixed issue that didn't allow login to an Xbox from a PC running Windows 10.
  • Fixed security issue created when attempting to play corrupted content.
  • Fixed security issue that could allow remote code execution while viewing a PDF in Microsoft Edge.
  • Fixed additional issues with .NET Framework, Internet Explorer 11, and networking.
  • Fixed additional security issues with Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11, USB storage driver, kernel mode drivers, .NET Framework, graphic fonts, OLE, secondary logon, PDF library, and Adobe Flash Player.

Ask a Question