SOLVED MSpaint

Reaction score
Is there a way to disable, remove or beat to death MSpaint in windows 10?

For some reason it has started being the default for opening image files...even if not shown as the default program.

Thanks for any help

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Bridge,

If you press Windows key and S key together to give focus to Search box then type default app settings and press Enter key what is selected for Photo Viewer?

Reaction score
Thank you. Yes I did that without success. I did find out what the problem was (an uninstall had partially failed and the photo program "wasn't there" but still worked!

During the process I tried to change the name of Paint (without success) to get it out of the way. I get the "you can't without the Trusted installer.... I admit that I don't know anything about the TrustedInstaller

If there is a way to remove paint, I would like to know how,but the issue is "solved" as far as the problem. Now curiosity is all that remains.

Thank you for your contact

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes MSPaint.exe is a System file located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

To be able to remove this file or rename it you'd need to take ownership of the file while logged in with a Username belonging to the Administrative Group, (i.e. have Admin privileges).

There is no need to do this though so to be honest I am not sure I want to be posting how to do this given the issues that can arise if you make mistakes here.