SOLVED Multiple Different Applications No Longer Open

Reaction score
I turned on my Desktop today and have found numerous applications no longer open. They seen to try but I m always greeted with a message box telling me that the application cannot open and to check the store for further information which seems to tell me nothing. Some of the applications are File Brick, All My Drives, Word Preview, Exel Preview, Power Point Preview, Dropbox and Password Book to name a few. Nothing has changed that I am aware of. They all previously work.

Michael

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I know this may sound stupid, but.....
Shut it down and then start it again and see if it's still messed up.
If so, then try a system restore
Just click the logo button and type "system protection" and hit enter
then click the System Restore button and see if that will help.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with a couple of games downloaded from the store and also my Big Fish game. We're not alone. I've posted it in the feedback app and have an on going dialog in the Insiders page. I've tried several things so far and nothing has worked. Open up your Insiders app, go to Windows 10/Store and the thread is titled "Games Won't Work" (I think that is the subject but I'm on my Win 8.1 machine right now so I can't look). You'll find some things to try and although nothing has worked for me it would be worth a try for you.

Reaction score
I know this may sound stupid, but.....
Shut it down and then start it again and see if it's still messed up.
If so, then try a system restore
Just click the logo button and type "system protection" and hit enter
then click the System Restore button and see if that will help.

I shut down and did a system restart to no avail. Did a system restore to the only restore point listed (yesterday, before I noticed the problem) and seemed to restore and then restart correctly but I can no longer get to the tiled screen, always goes directly to the desktop and won't allow me to switch.

I did another System Restore back to where I was at 8:37 this evening and again all appeared to be ok but I can no longer get to the tiled screen. The windows button on the bottom left of the screen on the task bar seems to do nothing. However, a right click seems to bring up all the expected.

If I right click the Taskbar and select Properties, under the Navigation tag ""Don't show Start after I log in" is selected and grayed out. Under the Start Menu tab there is no such selection such as "Use the Start Menu instead of the Start Screen."

Michael

Last edited:
Reaction score
I shut down and did a system restart to no avail. Did a system restore to the only restore point listed (yesterday, before I noticed the problem) and seemed to restore and then restart correctly but I can no longer get to the tiled screen, always goes directly to the desktop and won't allow me to switch.

I did another System Restore back to where I was at 8:37 this evening and again all appeared to be ok but I can no longer get to the tiled screen. The windows button on the bottom left of the screen on the task bar seems to do nothing. However, a right click seems to bring up all the expected.

If I right click the Taskbar and select Properties, under the Navigation tag ""Don't show Start after I log in" is selected and grayed out. Under the Start Menu tab there is no such selection such as "Use the Start Menu instead of the Start Screen."

Michael

I have also noted that Windows 10 has reverted back to Internet Explorer 8 whereas I had Internet Explorer on my System. I was wrong here, Task Manager show it to be Internet Explorer 8 but it is actually Winnows Explorer 11 that opens.

Michael

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is strange. I have Internet Explorer 11 and it also shows as 11 in task manager. Build 9926 is doing some weird things that were not happening in 9879. Here is a link to my thread in the Insider's Hub:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4854-81b7-424b6923bb18?rtAction=1425704937231

My biggest concern right now is getting back to where I am able to switch between the Start Menu and the Tile Menu. Can never bring up the Tiled Screen ever since the Restores even though it said it Restored ok.

Michael

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Very confused now.
With comments about IE8 and Tile Menu it sounds like we are no longer talking about windows 10, it sounds more like Windows 8.1 w/update 1.
I'm not sure what you are referencing here when you speak of a "Start Menu" versus a "Tile Menu", can you clarify?

Reaction score
Very confused now.
With comments about IE8 and Tile Menu it sounds like we are no longer talking about windows 10, it sounds more like Windows 8.1 w/update 1.
I'm not sure what you are referencing here when you speak of a "Start Menu" versus a "Tile Menu", can you clarify?

More-than-likely my terminology is part of the problem. Just for information I have never had Windows 8 on this system. Went from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9926. Hopefully I won't muddy the waters to much this time.
  • After installing Windows 10 on my system it would boot directly to a screen that resembled the old style Windows 7 Startup screen. If I hit the Windows Key on the keyboard or clicked on the Windows on the left side of the Task Bar my screen would switch to the Tiled Windows like Windows 8.1. I could switch back and forth between the two at will. Unfortunately, I pinned most of my important programs to the Windows 8 type Tiled start screen and not my Task Bar thereby making it very difficult launching a program.
  • A few days ago I noticed that several of these pinned applications no longer worked, giving me as I mentioned in an earlier post and noted by others as well.
  • I tried signing in as another user as well as rebooting my system to no avail.
  • I did a system restore to an earlier restore point and all appeared to restore normally. As expected, I booted normally into the Windows 7 type screen. However, the Windows key and clicking on the Windows icon on the Task Bar would no longer do anything. I then restored everything back to my most resent restore point, an hour before all started down hill, and I had the same result: I booted normally into the Windows 7 type screen as expected.
  • However, the Windows key and clicking on the Windows icon on the Task Bar would nothing. Just a side note, for some reason, the Task Manager shows Internet Explorer 8 running while the Internet Explorer Help/About screen shows Internet Explorer 11.
  • Currently, my system boots directly to a screen that resembled the old style Windows 7 Startup screen. However, the Windows key and clicking on the Windows icon on the Task Bar will do nothing whereas they used to switch to the Windows Tiled type screen and I could switch back and forth at will.
  • Right now, I'm more concerned with getting back to what I had than anything else.
It appears almost as if something went amuck in the restore and corrupted or deleted a registry entry. I hope this provides some clarification and doesn't muddy the waters further.

Michael

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like it's definitely corrupted somewhere.
What I would do and what I have done in the recent past is .....
Insert the installation media and run the setup program from there and choose upgrade.
It's what we call an in-place upgrade / repair and (at least in my recent instance) works rather well.
It's non-destructive and you shouldn't have to reinstall anything after it's done all your programs, drivers, data, etc., should remain untouched. Having said that I would still recommended backing up anything critical.
Give it a go, takes about as long as a clean install maybe a tad longer, but it preserves important things so it's worth a try before doing anything more drastic.

Reaction score
Sounds like it's definitely corrupted somewhere.
What I would do and what I have done in the recent past is .....
Insert the installation media and run the setup program from there and choose upgrade.
It's what we call an in-place upgrade / repair and (at least in my recent instance) works rather well.
It's non-destructive and you shouldn't have to reinstall anything after it's done all your programs, drivers, data, etc., should remain untouched. Having said that I would still recommended backing up anything critical.
Give it a go, takes about as long as a clean install maybe a tad longer, but it preserves important things so it's worth a try before doing anything more drastic.

Thanks! I'll give that a chance a little later. looks like I've shot myself in foot though. After I originally downloaded the .iso file I burned it to cd and then deleted my download. I have since lost the dvd so I have to fin d th download again and start again . Live and learn.

Michael

Reaction score

Thanks. I have done the in place upgrade and now able to switch again as I originally could. As for some programs no longer working, no such luck. I uninstalled several of the offending programs, namely Word Preview, Excel Preview, Powerpoint Preview and Dropbox, among others and tried to reinstall them. Some I could reinstall and they then worked ok, namely File Brick, Police Scanner 5-0 and All My Storage. Trying to reinstall Word Preview, Excel Preview and Powerpoint Preview failed with and error # 0xC03F7000 while Dropbox had the error # 0x80240034.

Michael

Reaction score
Thanks. I have done the in place upgrade and now able to switch again as I originally could. As for some programs no longer working, no such luck. I uninstalled several of the offending programs, namely Word Preview, Excel Preview, Powerpoint Preview and Dropbox, among others and tried to reinstall them. Some I could reinstall and they then worked ok, namely File Brick, Police Scanner 5-0 and All My Storage. Trying to reinstall Word Preview, Excel Preview and Powerpoint Preview failed with and error # 0xC03F7000 while Dropbox had the error # 0x80240034.

Michael

I was able to rectify this problem by doing the following:

1. Uninstall the failing program or programs
  2. Enter run in the search box, and then tap or click Run.
  3. Enter wsreset.exe in the Run command and then tap or click OK.

Reaction score

Michael

I had to do a system restore today due to a corrupted application. All appeared to go ok but as above I booted directly into the Windows 7 style screen and could not get to the Windows 8 style screen. Windows key would not work. I restored back to earlier today and still the same. Had to once again do an in place upgrade and now able to switch again as I originally could before. Hope this gets corrected. It a pain to say the least.

Have noted one oddity though. After the in place upgrade on login I noted my login picture was no longer there. There is only a place-holder in its place. Login Password works fine. When I go "Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\User Accounts" The picture is also missing. If I select "Make Changes to My Account in Settings" the picture is there.

Michael

Ask a Question