Multiple Monitor Layout Restrictions in Windows 10

Reaction score
I have just got my 4 monitors set up for my work pc. 2 using onboard graphics, and 2 using an Asus EN210 PCIe card.

I am trying to set them up in a specific layout, but I cannot seem to get it working, and I am not sure if it is possible or not.

key: - = Monitor

What works:

- - - -

and

- -
- -

What I am trying to achieve

-
- - -​

(had to align center to have it line up correctly)

Is this possible?

When I try to apply this layout, it pauses/hangs for a couple seconds and then reverts to the 4 in a row layout (- - - -)

I tried a 3rd party app called 'Actual Multiple Monitors' which save the layout upon applying the changes(the layout is correct in the GUI of the program), however the desktop still acts as if it has 4 monitors in a single row.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Yes it's possible.....but your problem is with 1 of 2 things.....your mobo or your GPU. 1 of them needs to be able to handle 4 monitors.

I would opt for a better GPU as that one you have is very old. I would opt for a GTX 1060 which has the 4 ports on the card. You would need to make sure that your monitors have the corresponding ports.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125905

Reaction score
So because each is only handling/controlling 2 monitors that is the issue?

I can't justify a better GC because it is a work pc and I know they wont provide one other than any spares that are in the office.

Thanks for the info

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
So because each is only handling/controlling 2 monitors that is the issue?
Yes...and that's because of the age of your existing hardware. The newer hardware is much much better at handling 3 or more monitors to configure them all the same way.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Now you might try some 3rd party software like "DisplayFusion" or "UltraMon"....you have to buy them...but at least there is a trial period with them.

Back in the day I wanted to do the same and ended up buying DisplayFusion. It worked really well.

Ask a Question