SOLVED Multiple User names on Win 10 logon screen

Reaction score
When win 10 boots I see two user accounts in left hand corner of the Welcome screen. One is the usual microsoft.com account and the other looks like a local user account with pc name. However, only the microsoft.com account appears in Control Panel > Users. I even click on Manage Other Accounts. There are no additional accounts shown.

I want to remove the local user account from the sign on / Welcome screen. It seems to default to that screen and I have to select the microsoft.com account choice to log on.

Jim

Reaction score
Capture 2.JPG
HI Jim,

have you checked in Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage Accounts > Add a new user in PC settings?. You can then delete the accounts you don't want after :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks reply. As noted in first paragraph, Control Panel > Users account was the first place I looked. Only one account is shown - my MS account with administrator privileges. The mystery is: where did this other second account appearing on the Welcome page come from?

Jim

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

my point was to create a new user account and then use it as admin to delete the other accounts if you catch my drift?. :D

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
my point was to create a new user account and then use it as admin to delete the other accounts if you catch my drift?. :D

May as well just enable the already existing but hidden Admin account.

Method 1

Assuming you dont have an admin account do the following else
if you already have an admin account just run steps 2, 3, and 9

1. Tap the Windows key.
  2. Type cmd and wait for the results to be displayed.
  3. Right-click no the Command Prompt result and select "run as administrator" from the context menu.
  4. Run the command net user to display a list of all user accounts on the system.
  5. To activate the inactive administrator account run the command
  6. net user administrator /active:yes
  7. logout and login with that Admin account
  8. Repeat Step 2. and 3. again and type
  9. net user "username" /delete
Change username for the account you want to delete.

Method 2

Assuming you dont have an admin account do the following else
if you already have an admin account just run steps 7, 8, and 9

Assuming you can open a command prompt as administrator do:
  1. Open Run command box by simultaneously pressing Windows + R keys.
  2. In the Run command box, type lusrmgr.msc and then press Enter key to open Local Users and Groups window.
  3. In the left-pane, click Users folder to see all account names in the middle pane.
  4. Double-click on the Administrator entry in the middle pane to open its properties dialog.
  5. Under the General tab, uncheck the option labelled Account is disabled, and then click Apply button to enable the built-in admin account
  6. Logout and login with that Admin account
  7. Open the Settings app located on the Start menu’s sidebar, click Accounts, and navigate to Family and other People
  8. Click on the account you want to remove from your computer, and click Remove.
  9. You’ll be prompted to confirm, and if you really want to continue, click Delete user account and data.
Once your done sign out, sign in as normal username and disable the hidden admin account

Reaction score
WOLFIE HELP. I MESSED UP. THE ONLY NET USER WAS "k7eg" AND I JUST DELETED IT!!

I AM TRYING TO GET IT BACK WITH: NET USER K7EG /ADD. COMMAND

IT SAID SUCCESSFUL. HOWEVER, I HAVE LOST FUNCTIONS. CAN YOU GIVE ME A QUICK CALL AT ? I WILL BE GLAD TO RETURN CALL.

THANKS

JIM

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Case closed. Called Microsoft Support. They straightened all out. Thanks Wolfie

Ask a Question