SOLVED Multiple User Question

Reaction score
I have been considering upgrading from Windows 7, but I haven't been able to find an answer to this question: There are five people in my family, and each one has their own local account on our computer. If I use the automatic upgrade down in my system tray, will Windows 10 automatically restore each sign in for each user? We all have unique information, and I do not want to use a Microsoft online account sign in. I want us to each have a local sign in.

Reaction score
I have been considering upgrading from Windows 7, but I haven't been able to find an answer to this question: There are five people in my family, and each one has their own local account on our computer. If I use the automatic upgrade down in my system tray, will Windows 10 automatically restore each sign in for each user? We all have unique information, and I do not want to use a Microsoft online account sign in. I want us to each have a local sign in.
Good morning Steve. Welcome to the forum. I do not have an answer but will bump you to the top of today's list with this post. Bump.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have been considering upgrading from Windows 7
There is no answer, because.......
There is no definitive answer to be had.
You need only to read through the forums (this and others as well) to find a multitude of upgraders who've experienced any number of problems with their user profiles / account information (settings).
That is one of the reasons I always recommend performing a disk image in advance of even thinking about upgrading.
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, read this before proceeding.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Personally, I have never had an issue with a single user profile or any account / password / anything else..... after upgrading to Windows 10, and.....
I've performed multiple upgrades on various computers, several of which, including my wife's Windows 7 Pro 64 bit machine, which had five separate local accounts (for the grandkids when they need a computer during a visit).
No problem at all in my experience, but....
Your mileage may vary, so.....
Protect yourself with a known, good, viable, disk image just in case.

Reaction score
Actually, you have provided an answer. The answer is that you have successfully upgraded a Win7 machine with five user accounts with no issues, which is what I really wanted to hear, yet you would always suggest creating a back up image just in case.

I am hesitant after all of the issues I have read, but the mere idea of Microsoft giving anyone anything that isn't a stripped down version for free is so intriguing. My wife is still suspicious of their motives, and I don't blame her, but I will probably do it this weekend.

Thank you.

Ask a Question