Musical Notes...

Reaction score
Hello...

Can anyone tell me what the significance is of the 4 musical notes played during W10 operation.

I never see any sort of message about events or anything else... the notes seem to play at random occurrence's

for no discernable reason! I wish I could give you more situational information... but, there is no pattern that I can see.

Dennis

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Dennis,

I suspect you are describing one of the System Notifications chimes.

If you open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\Media you'll see a list of audio files. You can click and listen to each one to see if its the one you are meaning in your question above. As you mentioned four notes, I think its probably the Windows Notify System Generic or the Windows Notify Email one.

Anyway once you find the one you hear as they are named you may be able to figure out which one it is and thus what is triggering it.

Also, if you click Start > Settings cog > System you can click in the left pane the Notifications & actions then in right pane you can scroll through the apps you have allows to send you notifications and turn off if its not wanted or leave on.

Reaction score
Hi Dennis,

I suspect you are describing one of the System Notifications chimes.

If you open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\Media you'll see a list of audio files. You can click and listen to each one to see if its the one you are meaning in your question above. As you mentioned four notes, I think its probably the Windows Notify System Generic or the Windows Notify Email one.

Anyway once you find the one you hear as they are named you may be able to figure out which one it is and thus what is triggering it.

Also, if you click Start > Settings cog > System you can click in the left pane the Notifications & actions then in right pane you can scroll through the apps you have allows to send you notifications and turn off if its not wanted or leave on.

Reaction score
Hello...

Thanks for the lead. The audio file is 'Windows Hardware Insert'. But, what it is exactly linked to is yet to be determined. When I stumble across it, I'll post it here.

Dennis

Regedit32

Reaction score
Interesting Dennis

If you have a external USB device attached perhaps its seated a little loosely and thus bumping computer, or table computer is on moves it enough to make computer think you are inserting a device and hence the chime.

Or possibly your monitor has a usb hub that reacts what the slightest shake of table or lap.

Reaction score
Hello... thanks for the tip 'Regedit32'... I have about 16 USB connections... so isolating any problem is going to take awhile, and a fair amount of luck...

Dennis

Reaction score
I was using a Play Station 4 controller and the port where the USB cord plugged in was getting worn and the connection was constantly turning on and off as I played Assassin's Creed. I kept getting the 4 note sound and there would be a quick text message on the screen that a new device had been added. Perhaps it is showing on your screen as well and you just haven't noticed it.

Reaction score
Hello.... I think that it is my scanner. I have a CanoScan FB620U, which is not supported by W10, directly that is.
Having gone into 'Device Manager' (don't know why I didn't think of that before) it has the yellow caution symbol next to it. There are no current device drivers available for it. I've seen a software package for it. But, it costs as much as a new scanner! So, I'm going to eliminate the scanner for now and go with another device type for 'scanning'. Thanks for all the effort and tips on solving this situation.

Dennis

Ask a Question