My adventure with build 15025

Reaction score
Well on Wednesday I installed it with numerous failures and GSOD's When it finally installed some of my apps did not work, so I hastily went back to the AU. This entire process took about 4 hours. On thusrday I decided to try again so I restored 15007 build that I had found on a Disk, I tried to update that to Build 15025 which relsulted in a total cluster ####. Failure upon failure with about 10-12 GSOD's so I gave up deleted all images of 15007 and went back to the AU.
Today I downloaded am ISO from Microsoft of build 15002 and upgraded 14393.726 to it. It went smoothly and quite fast.
Once that was complete I removed the duplicate drive thing and started to upgrade to 15025. It failed the first time with an error that MS said if you get to just restart. I did that and started the upgrade procedure again. It got stuck on Downloading at 100% so I though I am not going to mess with it and left it alone. I got another error that said we tried yada yada yada. So I restarted again and continued, this time it got stuck at 99% so I decided to let it go and went and layed down for awhile.
When I returned it was in the process of installing and finished perfectly no GSOD's or anything.
So I guess the moral of the story is to be patient and just let it do it's thing. That being said, MS still needs to fix this problem.

I also do not like being called an amateur by the head of this program! Mybe she should get some of her pros from Nigeria to do this.:mad:

Just my rant of the day.

Reaction score
I have not had a GSOD yet but the update to 15025 always seems to freeze after a while. I am trying since Wednesday to get it installed but was so far never able to finish it, not even if I left my PC on over night....
I am thinking the new update scheme UUP needs an overhaul in a big way as it never had worked so far at the first try....
Initializing for hours does not seem to be efficient enough to distribute updates....

Reaction score
I have not had a GSOD yet but the update to 15025 always seems to freeze after a while. I am trying since Wednesday to get it installed but was so far never able to finish it, not even if I left my PC on over night....
I am thinking the new update scheme UUP needs an overhaul in a big way as it never had worked so far at the first try....
Initializing for hours does not seem to be efficient enough to distribute updates....
There is an official MS ISO out, try it.

Windows 10 Build 15025 Official ISO Images

Reaction score
Looks like I am stuck in a loop. I left the pc on over night and this morning it tells me again that the new version is available for download. click on [download] and it initializes again... repeat over and over

Reaction score
Looks like I am stuck in a loop. I left the pc on over night and this morning it tells me again that the new version is available for download. click on [download] and it initializes again... repeat over and over

Try the below

• [UPDATED] IMPORTANT: You may see “Initializing…” when attempting to download this build and the download progress indicator shown when downloading this build may seem broken under Settings > Update & security > Windows Update. It may look like you’re getting stuck at 0% or at other percentages. Ignore the indicator and be patient. The build should download fine, and the installation should kick off. See this forum post for more details.
  • While we fixed the primary bug causing this issue, some Windows Insiders may still hit nonstop exceptions in the Spectrum.exe service causing their PC to lose audio, disk I/O usage to become very high, and apps like Microsoft Edge to become unresponsive when doing certain actions such as opening Settings. As a workaround to get out of this state, STOP the Spectrum.exe service and delete C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Spectrum
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...r-preview-build-15025-pc/#4goz67IDd8MJ58wm.97

Reaction score
My adventure less exciting than Gideon. 15025 just would not install over the network.

So I downloaded the ISO onto my main machine and using Rufus made a USB3 thumb drive.

Over to the Insider laptop, plugged in the USB and it would not boot from it carried on and booted 15007 from disk.
So, I ran setup from the USB stick and 15025 loaded. Trouble is I use a Bluetooth mouse on the laptop as I HATE trackpads. The laptop has a built in microphone but very low sensitivity. The new OOBE can use the touchscreen, the trackpad or for some things voice. After a couple of tries I plugged in an old USB mouse and the system loaded fine and I could turn on Bluetooth and off we go. Playing further I discovered that this Lenovo laptop will boot from its solitary USB 2 port but not from its USB 3 ports. So I think I will redo the install with the usb drive in USB2 and the wired mouse in USB3 ( I will of course check that first!)

Also the laptop was connected ethernet when I did this...next time I'll see if it can bring up the wifi system from boot.

Unlike Gideon I don't have a problem with Dona and her Upgrade Analytics message. Looks like some useful stuff if you are preparing to install W10 on a whole company that has been running a fully integrated domain and directory system and want to update easily. Not for home users I think...we ARE Amateur Hour.

Reaction score
Did the same way as Tim did. it is currently installing.

@Gideon : I know about the faulty progressive bar but even the 15019 installed over night and was ready to go the next morning. the 15025 is now running since Wednesday with no progress whatsoever, always restarting itself.
I also noticed that from time to time CPU load is high while most of the time it is as nothing happens (as well as disc load)...

Install is now at 50% completion...

Reaction score
Done and done. Wonder if the servers were too overloaded...

I noticed though that there was an item missing in the settings: Mixed Reality. It now has become an app...
Still combing through all of it to find some changes

Reaction score
So I just did it again wired mouse on USB3, boot USB on USB 2 and selected keep nothing Windows only. It unpacked and installed all the files and all that stuff and restarted. Did a bit more setup and the Cortana started. I used mouse and touch screen to do all this stuff. I logged in when it asked with my MS account. Which of course then started Onedrive.

... the Wifi came up, found networks and let me enter my passphrase. Bluetooth came up and I connected ( paired) my mouse and it started working immediately but took 5 minutes before it said that device setup was complete. The Conexant sound system on this PC obviously needs a downloaded driver and a restart all done invisibly...ok.

If I were designing all this OOBE I would definitely have proper status bars with, ideally, time to complete shown on each section not that rotating thingy.

Reaction score
I am glad I have an image of 14393.726 to go back to. If I have any trouble with the next build I will be done being a guinea pig..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Had to add to this discussion as I have my own "adventure" to report regarding this build.
The upgrade went fine on both my physical machine as well as on my VM in Hyper-V, absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Now..... not being one to leave well enough alone, I decided that I would attempt to do a clean install on my physical machine from the "Official ISO" and that's where the adventure starts.
First off it wouldn't install, after Shift F10 and using diskpart to wipe the drive, I kept getting
“Couldn't create new partition or locate existing one. For more information, see Setup log file" error message”
Thought I had a problem with the hard drive so booted with MiniTool Partition Wizard and wiped it again and just for good measure created a partition and formatted it.
Same error message when trying to install.
So I used the installation to delete it (same error) used the installation to create it (same error) used the installation to format it (same error).
At this point I'm starting to suspect the thumb drive media, so I burned the ISO to DVD and it installed and what a mess that turned out to be.
Start menu Tiles were a disaster, every time I arranged them for my preference and attempted to pin the "People" App it would crash the Start Menu and rearrange the tiles all over the place.
Couldn't use the "More" feature to support two columns of four medium tiles, it just ignored and reset that check box every time I tried.
I even tried removing all the tiles and adding them back.... no luck / fix there.

I finally gave up

Fortunately I made an image of the upgrade (which was absolutely perfect) so I went back to that image an am running 15025 but as far as a "build" at least from my experience I think I would give it a "Skip It" vote.
Although I may mount the ISO in my VM and attempt another clean install there, just to see if the results are the same.

Ask a Question