SOLVED My Favourite keys

Reaction score
Can't configure the 5 My Favourite keys on my Microsoft USB keyboard. It was handy to use that function to pop open several regularly used files & links.

Reaction score
Ummm, John. Not mind readers here. Microsoft currently makes nearly 2 dozen keyboards and over the years have made many more. How are we supposed to know what Microsoft keyboard you have, or what keys are your favorites without you telling us?

I note my MS keyboard has some "Taskbar Shortcut Keys" I can program but they are not called "My Favorite" keys so I am not sure if that is what you are talking about because there are several other keys I can program too. Some for email, Internet, media functions, Office functions, and more. In fact, with many keyboards, almost any key can be "re-mapped" to perform almost any function.

Did you visit the support page on the Microsoft website for your specific keyboard to see if there is a program you can download to program whatever programmable keys your specific Microsoft keyboard may have?

My MS keyboard uses a program called, "Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center". Look for something similar for your keyboard. In fact, my MS keyboard came with a disk that had the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center software on it (but I recommend downloading the program from Microsoft to ensure you have the latest version).

Reaction score
Ummm, John. Not mind readers here. Microsoft currently makes nearly 2 dozen keyboards and over the years have made many more. How are we supposed to know what Microsoft keyboard you have, or what keys are your favorites without you telling us?.
It's a Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard 1.0A but the mouse & keyboard centre doesn't recognize that it exists, once I downloaded it. It did with XP & 8.1 but apparently Microsoft no longer supports that product of theirs which is a pity because the extra 5 keys were handy.

Reaction score
Yeah, support for legacy hardware just doesn't last forever. It is just not cost effective when so few still exist. If the W8.x software for your old keyboard doesn't support those extra features with W10, and you cannot live without them, then I don't know what to suggest but to break down and buy a new keyboard.

Reaction score
Figured that would be the case, but Mr Gates told me that my hardware was 100% compatible. If he tells fibs, whom can I trust? ;)

Reaction score
'Twas indeed in jest. Prior to being accepted for windows 10, I got a message saying I was 100% compatible, which of course one takes as spin.

Reaction score
which of course one takes as spin.
Well, your keyboard does work fine in standard keyboard mode so not sure it is fair to be too critical here if your motherboard, drives, graphics, RAM, and major installed programs work fine.

Ask a Question