My laptop is new, and it said 300gb is already used out of 450 gb

Reaction score
Hello
I recently bought a laptop, however when I look at the storage used it says 300g is used out of 450gb, I didn't even download anything yet, I barely used the computer.I checked my storage, and a category named "other" says it used 300gb, but when I click on it the files in it only add up to 2gb.

Please help my laptop is brand new

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
my laptop is brand new
Since it's "brand new", have you considered talking with the vendor (seller) and asking why so much of your available hard drive space is already consumed?

Reaction score
Since it's "brand new", have you considered talking with the vendor (seller) and asking why so much of your available hard drive space is already consumed?
Have you got Kaspersky Internet Security installed.If so check it is not set to keep report files.I had a 240Gg SSD reduced to 1GB.There were 900 files which once I removed them solved the problem.

Reaction score
If you are using the Settings-System-Storage-Drive, click on the "Other" entry and see what folders the files are in. You can then click on one folder and be taken to that actual folder.

What shows the usage?

Reaction score
I would click on This PC in file explorer and total up the sized of the drives shown for a start. Is the physical drive partitions into two drives ( visible drives with drive letters?) Or go to disk management and look there.

Reaction score
It could well be disk space reserved for system restore. You may need to limit the space to a smaller value. I have mine set to 30GB and everything seems to work OK

Ask a Question