My laptop local(internal) disk drive D,E showing write protected in windows10 on saving and pasting data.

Reaction score
My laptop local(internal) disk drive D,E showing write protected in windows10. I am not able to create and save any files and folder in them.

1587703801540.png

I am also not able to change the security rights or control even i am admin of my system.

1587703769726.png

If any one encountered this kind problem,kindly share me your suggestions to remove write protection from my internal drives.Because most of files,i am able to save and change which are in these drives.

Thanks.

Reaction score
might also depend on laptop, make, model, and check to see if your D,E are locked, i found that some how 2 clients turned on BitLocker on internal and external HDDs.

Reaction score
Perhaps I am mireading, but isnt it the pdf files which are locked - not the drives?

Reaction score
The second clip says the media is write protected. Maybe the op could offer a little more info?

Reaction score
these drives could be the recovery and system drives which would be automatically locked, since it seems to be a NEW laptop. Most manufacturer create a recovery drive and a partition for tools which usually are read only. Those should not have a drive letter but often they have.
A screenshot of the disk management would be nice

Reaction score
Good one Grizzly. Didnt think of that obvious explanation! If yuo've hit it, I guess the op assigned the letters.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have ,my own thoughts on the original problem, but it appears to have advanced beyond those thoughts lol.
But, just a very curious enquiry. Who named those Disks/programs, and why PDF.
PDFs can often be encrypted and password protected, which makes the ops problem more difficult.

Only clue I have is, something which I once ventured into, it appears to be connected with financial job resume. Might help to bring the thread to a conclusion if she could explain a little more??

Reaction score
Just saw this and my thought is that somehow the "usually-hidden" partitions on the internal drive have gotten drive letters assigned. Those partitions are small, in the MB range rather than GB. The thought is also based upon most Notebooks having only one actual drive in them unless being large enough to have two such as a 17". But it's early and only one cup of coffee so far.

Reaction score
I often name my partitions, and those of my clients - 1TB SSDs make nice partitions, for specific, Doc, Vids, PDF, Mail, Forms and such

Ask a Question