SOLVED My new Windows 10 pc

Reaction score
Hi,

Last week I received a pc that I purchased online, and it arrived along with a Windows 10 Home Full version 64-bit DVD.
When it arrived, the pc was Version 1709. Yesterday it updated to 1803 without any problems.... it took almost an hour and a half to complete.

My question is this, if I ever have to do a clean install of W 10 on this pc in the future, using the generic DVD that came with it, will it also have to do all the updates (including versions) that have been released up to that time? That could take a very long time to complete. Or would I be better off downloading the latest iso and going from there?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Or would I be better off downloading the latest iso and going from there?
Yep.
Generally speaking it is always a good idea to have the latest version of the ISO on hand from which to create installation media to avoid just such a problem.

Reaction score
Thanks! Do you think a 4GB flash drive is ok for the current ISO?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure It isn't.
I think you will need something slightly larger.
Although....
You can simply save it anywhere on your computer, like your downloads or documents folder or even right on your desktop, assuming you aren't running out of free space.
You can always move it later if you want to.

Reaction score
I think I'll do that until I pick up a larger flash drive. Thanks again!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan.
I believe an 8 GB thumb drive would be more than adequate.
I just happen to have and use a few 16s and 32s so I never pay much attention.
I believe that the 32bit version of the ISO might fit on a 4 GB but not the 64 bit version and definitely not the "Both" option should you choose to download both the 32 and 64 bit versions as a single ISO.
AND
Then you'll probably want another one that you can use as installation media.
I generally use a third party product called Rufus https://rufus.akeo.ie/
To convert the ISO to installation media

Rufus.JPG

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you have to reinstall from your DVD the current cumulative update plus any changed 3rd party drivers will get you uptodate immediately. Windows update will do this automatically. If you need to reinstall after the next full release then you would download the release as Trouble shows. Your licence is maintained by Microsoft.

I think that USB sticks smaller than 32GB are a false economy. I like the Kingston USB3 ones in a metal case.

I use Macrium to backup my machines and have USB sticks to boot from and a USB3 128GB SSD disk in a external enclosure for each machine.

Reaction score
Thanks for the snapshots and annotations. It's been very helpful. I haven't used Rufus in quite a while, so that was a good reminder. I remember the first time I went to use it, I kept thinking "where's the ISO file?" Your note #2 reminded me about clicking for it there.

Reaction score
If you have to reinstall from your DVD the current cumulative update plus any changed 3rd party drivers will get you uptodate immediately. Windows update will do this automatically. If you need to reinstall after the next full release then you would download the release as Trouble shows. Your licence is maintained by Microsoft.

I think that USB sticks smaller than 32GB are a false economy. I like the Kingston USB3 ones in a metal case.

I use Macrium to backup my machines and have USB sticks to boot from and a USB3 128GB SSD disk in a external enclosure for each machine.

I have a few sticks that are currently used up. I agree with you on your comment about false economy. Good to know about the cumulative update plus 3rd party drivers! Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi,

Last week I received a pc that I purchased online, and it arrived along with a Windows 10 Home Full version 64-bit DVD.
When it arrived, the pc was Version 1709. Yesterday it updated to 1803 without any problems.... it took almost an hour and a half to complete.

My question is this, if I ever have to do a clean install of W 10 on this pc in the future, using the generic DVD that came with it, will it also have to do all the updates (including versions) that have been released up to that time? That could take a very long time to complete. Or would I be better off downloading the latest iso and going from there?

Well MS updates the clean install when updates happen. The thing is when you buy a pc the OS it put on in the factory and it will do the updates after you configure the first time if some are missing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
and it arrived along with a Windows 10 Home Full version 64-bit DVD.
When it arrived, the pc was Version 1709.
It arrived with 1709 and I have no reason to suspect that the installation media provided would be anything more recent.
I believe what the OP was trying to get across was, having the most recent ISO on hand so as to avoid resorting to older media and then suffering through a huge version update
As would be the case if you installed 1709. You'd have at minimum 1803 to update.

Reaction score
The pc came from a refurbisher. The DVD that came with it is labeled "Windows 10 Home Full Version." In small lettering the DVD also says that it is "intended for distribution with a refurbished PC."

I imagine that this is a generic version of Windows 10 Home which, if I ever had to install (say in a year or two), would have to go through all the updates that have been issued up to that time to bring it up to current levels.

It seems to me like, if I ever needed to re-install, having the most recent ISO available to do the reinstall would be a great time-saver and therefore most preferable.

I think I went through this exercise a couple of years ago using the DVD that came in the box with a new computer. It was kind of a lengthy re-install. So if that's the case, it seems to me that using the "latest ISO download" is the best way to go...... agree?

Thanks Jake and Trouble.... also, I could see from the update history that the update to 1709 took place at the refurbisher's facility.

Reaction score
"I think I went through this exercise a couple of years ago using the DVD that came in the box with a new computer. It was kind of a lengthy re-install. "

If you did that with Windows 7 then yes that could have taken a day to do! No cumul;ative updates back then, just service packs and a zillion small updates.

Reaction score
"I think I went through this exercise a couple of years ago using the DVD that came in the box with a new computer. It was kind of a lengthy re-install. "

If you did that with Windows 7 then yes that could have taken a day to do! No cumul;ative updates back then, just service packs and a zillion small updates.

Looking back through some of my old Windows install DVD's I had one that was labeled:

"Reinstallation DVD Windows Vista Home Premium 32BIT SP1." It came with a brand new pc. Vista SP1 was already installed on that one.

I also bought an installation Windows 7 Home Premium DVD with OEM product key years ago to upgrade the Vista pc.

Another new pc shipped with Windows 7 Home Premium, DVD included.

It did take a good part of the day to do a clean install the few times I had to do it.

Ask a Question