SOLVED My sound wont work after last upgrade...

Reaction score
I turned my computer on yesterday to find it doing some long-winded upgrade and now i have no sound. There is a red X on the audio button on the task bar and when you hover over it it says: no speakers or headphones are plugged in although there obviously are. When I click on the button it says the troubleshooter cant identify the problem. I updated drivers this didnt fix it. Hubby had a quick look before whooshing off to work and said "its a sound card issue just google it" ... which led me here. Help!! Thanks.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi juleslady,

Welcome to the Forum.

Try opening Device Manager, then expanding Sound, video and game controllers, then right-click on the device you updated driver for, and selecting disable. When prompted to confirm click Yes then wait a moment till window briefly flashes. Now right-click same driver and select Enable and again wait a moment till window flashes.

Does your headset work now and the Red X disappear?!

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK so what are we dealing with:
  • What sound card does your computer have?
  • What driver is it using?
  • What headset do you have (model number too if you know)?
  • Is it stereo or usb headset?
  • If stereo what driver is it using?
  • Finally what model computer are you using?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Is that a Envy-H8 desktop or a pavillion p7?

Did you upgrade from Windows 7, 8 or 8.1?

Reaction score
8, I didnt like it enough or trust it to upgrade to 8.1 ... I put off upgrading to 10 as long as I could

Reaction score
I had the same issue. Here's how I fixed it: Right clicked the "speaker icon" on the bottom right start bar. Go to Playback. Choose the correct playback device. Mine used to be "speakers realtech high definition audio" but after update had switched to "Acer ..." which is a monitor with no speakers connected via an HDMI cable. Switching it back fixed the problem.

Reaction score
Is this where it is supposed to be?
No audio devices are installed.
http://prntscr.com/cl2x7i
tried reinstalling from intel comes back with error (10)
tried using devices and add legacy hardware...
going to uninstall and reboot
see you on the flipside ;p

Ask a Question