My USB microscope stopped working after the update

Reaction score
It's not supposed to run on Windows 10 but it did. It' s one of those generic microscopes on Ebay from China.

There was a large Windows update and I think that's when it stopped working. When I plug the USB in, the LEDs on the microscope light up but the CamApp gives me 'You have no video capture device'.

I had a Google and turned off “Disable driver signature enforcement” but that didn't seem to work.

In Device Manager, it comes up as USB2.0 PC Camera with a yellow problem sign. Properties states 'This device is not configured correctly (Code 1) and the manufacturer is 'AVEO' which I don't think exist anymore. I right clicked and chose Update Driver Software > Search Automatically and it states 'driver not intended for this platform'.

I tried Update Driver Software > Browse My Computer with the Software driver mini CD in the correct Drive and get 'Windows could not find driver software for this device'

The CD has DotNetfx 2.0 on it and it states that it's required.

It was working fine before. I've tried it on someone's XP machine and it worked fine.

Is there anything else I can try? I used this gadget daily!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might try turning on DotNet 3.5 which includes previous DotNet Versions as well.
Go here Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
From the left column choose the link that says "Turn Windows features on or off?
Not sure if it will help or not, but might be worth a try. You can always go back and turn it off if not.
If you use Internet Explorer and go here http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=AVEO
There appears to be a driver for AVEO but it's a Windows 7 driver (actually there are two, one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit, make sure to get the correct driver for your system architecture).
You might have some luck installing that in compatibility mode.
Likewise..... might be worth a try.

Reaction score
How to use USB Microscope previously OK on PC with Windows XP, 7, 8 but not working on a PC running Windows 10 ( say after update)

I too had problems with a USB microscope previously running perfectly on 2 computers I have - one running XP and the other running Windows 7

When I updated the Windows 7 computer to Windows 10 with the free update the microscope failed to work ( still OK on the XP computer)

I tried the work-arounds mentioned previously on this forum with no success.

I found a simple answer on the Microsoft help website - Windows 10 has a dedicated camera app and this worked for me. The app can be accessed on a Windows 10 computer as follows--

Connect the USB microscope to the computer as usual.

In "Search Windows" ( just to the right of START icon on the bottom bar ) enter Camera.

Usually the first (top) result will be the dedicated camera app (may see it as Camera- Trusted Windows Store App)

Click on this and hey presto you should see an image from your microscope and be able to take a photo

This worked for me and saved me throwing the unit in the bin

I would welcome feedback from others - did this work for you?

Reaction score
How to use USB Microscope previously OK on PC with Windows XP, 7, 8 but not working on a PC running Windows 10 ( say after update)

I too had problems with a USB microscope previously running perfectly on 2 computers I have - one running XP and the other running Windows 7

When I updated the Windows 7 computer to Windows 10 with the free update the microscope failed to work ( still OK on the XP computer)

I tried the work-arounds mentioned previously on this forum with no success.

I found a simple answer on the Microsoft help website - Windows 10 has a dedicated camera app and this worked for me. The app can be accessed on a Windows 10 computer as follows--

Connect the USB microscope to the computer as usual.

In "Search Windows" ( just to the right of START icon on the bottom bar ) enter Camera.

Usually the first (top) result will be the dedicated camera app (may see it as Camera- Trusted Windows Store App)

Click on this and hey presto you should see an image from your microscope and be able to take a photo

This worked for me and saved me throwing the unit in the bin

I would welcome feedback from others - did this work for you?
Thank you. It has worked for me. I was getting frustrated.

Reaction score
[QUOTE="I found a simple answer on the Microsoft help website - Windows 10 has a dedicated camera app and this worked for me. The app can be accessed on a Windows 10 computer as follows--
[/QUOTE]

Great solution, worked first time. A big improvement on many solutions

Of course is this more of MS trying to take over the world and allow no one else access, or lazy software developers on the Digital Microscope team.

Finally, a big thankyou to all the other techie folk who helped me rollback a new win7 PC back to winXP a few years ago. I lost the details of which sites I received help from.

Ask a Question