My Windows 10 machine is stuck in Shutting Down mode and will not respond to any action, including t

Reaction score
My Windows 10 machine is stuck in Shutting Down mode and will not respond to any action, including turning it off. When I turn it back on it is still in Shutting Down mode. How do I get out of this mode, and what causes it? Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How long have you left it in that "shutting down" condition?
You don't mention what type of computer it is (laptop, desktop, tablet, 2 in 1, etc) nor the manufacturer name, model name, model number.
It's possible that it is having trouble shutting down a running process or it may be trying to complete an update or other process before shutting down.
Worse case.... if it remains unresponsive over a very long period then you could deprive it of its' energy source..... unplug it from the wall, remove the battery but only as a last resort.

Reaction score
How long have you left it in that "shutting down" condition?
You don't mention what type of computer it is (laptop, desktop, tablet, 2 in 1, etc) nor the manufacturer name, model name, model number.
It's possible that it is having trouble shutting down a running process or it may be trying to complete an update or other process before shutting down.
Worse case.... if it remains unresponsive over a very long period then you could deprive it of its' energy source..... unplug it from the wall, remove the battery but only as a last resort.

I left it on for about four hours. It is a Dell Vostro desktop computer that was originally a Windows 7 sp1 machine and was converted to Windows 10 about two weeks ago. It worked as well as a Windows 10 machine will work until today. It has been turned off for about six hours now. Just turned it back on and it is still stuck in Shutting down mode. What could go wrong with unplugging it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds to me like it is not shutting down but hibernating or sleeping or hybrid sleeping and you may have to take some drastic steps.
Do you have all your critical data backed up and safe on external media? Any chance you have a good disk image to fall back on?
Remove the AC power by unplugging it from the back of the computer.
Then press and hold the physical power button and count to 30 to discharge any stored energy in the system capacitors.
Plug it back in and power it up and see what's what.

Ask a Question