My Windows Machine Is Never Updated

Reaction score
I am a writer. I write on a separate Win 10 machine that NEVER goes online.

I also use Word 2010 which will no longer be supported as of October 2020.

I have begun to have problems printing documents from the machine that never goes online. I get notifications that the document is already open elsewhere (it isn't). I am asked to save it before printing (it is already saved), but I can't save it.. I am told that the document has been saved as an Office oxps file. (Huh?)

What's going on? It can't be a problem with the Win 10 version because it doesn't go online and doesn't pick up anything that could interfere. These problems began occurring this week.

Interestingly, I also have Word 2010 installed on the computer that goes online. I have no problems printing, though I do get notifications that support for Word 2010 will end in October 2020.

Could Word 2010 be built with a poison pill that the program swallows as D Day approaches? I have an old version of illustrator that is no longer supported. If I turn the calendar on my computer back ten years, it works. I wonder if it's the same thing going on with Word 2010.

Reaction score
Could Word 2010 be built with a poison pill that the program swallows as D Day approaches?
I doubt that to be the case. That would create a PR disaster for MS.

It is probably one of any number of glitchs that Windows often gets over time. Could be you just need to refresh your operating system and application installs.

PS: BTW I'm using Office 2010 myself. However my machine is not offline, so I can't check for offline glitches.

Reaction score
If you have a program that needs to go online periodically then Windows can do the same, after all Windows controls the connecting.

That file extension is odd, Word 2007 and later have the newer file type of .docx, same with other application in the suites beginning with that one, identifiable by the added x. Office 2007 and later work with files from Office 2003 and earlier, if wanting to share with Office 2003, XP/2002 and 2000 one could download a Compatibility Pack.

Reaction score
Perhaps the program is trying to save to the cloud, but, of course, cannot. , if not already. - Just a random thought!
You could make sure the cloud/onedrive is turned OFF
Regarding your "Oxps" - read this. Seems you will need a special viewer to open it.
"But, are you "saving as", and giving it the correct (doc) extension?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cloud? Office 2010?

I've never known the two to be affiliated. Is there something I have missed all these years?

Reaction score
Not sure, Cliff. I dont use the cloud. But, if you leave it on, are not saves automatically duplicated to the cloud?

Reaction score
As far as I know saving to a OneDrive folder (or comparable application) is the only way to manage the Cloud for Office 2010. Cloud services was one of the reasons behind converting to Office 365.

Ask a Question