NA/SAS/Surveillance Hard Drives for Desktop PC

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand your question fully - if the drive has a SATA port, then yes you can use it in a normal desktop PC (even if it came from a NAS or surveillance station). However, you also mention SAS drives... these are very different to SATA and will require additional hardware to use.

You may not be able to read the existing data, depending on the file system they came from. You may need to format them to get them to work.

Reaction score
Ok I think I understand now, as long as the HDD has SATA III port, it can be used as desktop drive.
Same as for laptop.
Because WD drives got Green,Blue,Red,Black, Yellow.
Black is the most expensive and reliable.
For Seagate, it has Barracuda, Momentus, Skyhawk, Ironwoft,Datacenter HDDs,
Barracuda is the most common for desktop PC.

Reaction score
I added Hitachi 6Tb NAS drive to my motherboard(Intel, a SATA 3 port) and Windows doesn't see it. I can see this hard drive in BIOS only. The Hard drive is new, just bought it. Should I use some utility to format hard drive from NAS to regular one ? Also I tried to put Hitachi hard drive to external dock station Wavlink D3- same thing-no USB drive.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
From what little research I just did....it seems that the Surveillance drives are specifically designed to work with the equipment it's used in. Just the first link in my search.......
https://www.seagate.com/internal-ha...5cjhmApuVXTzCn9OKNvL3DCAa22_zWYkaAqNwEALw_wcB

So my answer and this is just a guess.....NO. To AlexUst.....this is probably why your NAS drive doesn't show up. Again this is all just speculation on my part. I'm guessing this all has to do with the firmware on the HDD's which is specific to the type of application it's being applied to and used for.

Reaction score
Ok I think I understand now, as long as the HDD has SATA III port, it can be used as desktop drive.
Same as for laptop.
Because WD drives got Green,Blue,Red,Black, Yellow.
Black is the most expensive and reliable.
For Seagate, it has Barracuda, Momentus, Skyhawk, Ironwoft,Datacenter HDDs,
Barracuda is the most common for desktop PC.

I have never heard about Yellow drives for WD (I know about the Gold series). They have purple drives as well (these are made especially for surveillance - I have several of them) the WD website does not even list the green series anymore (at least I did not see them)...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I added Hitachi 6Tb NAS drive to my motherboard(Intel, a SATA 3 port) and Windows doesn't see it. I can see this hard drive in BIOS only. The Hard drive is new, just bought it. Should I use some utility to format hard drive from NAS to regular one ? Also I tried to put Hitachi hard drive to external dock station Wavlink D3- same thing-no USB drive.

If you right click on the start button, then click "Disk Management", does the drive show up there? It may just need a new partition creating, so that you can format it and assign a drive letter. You'll need to find the "unallocated space" on the new drive, right click it and create a new simple volume.

Surveillance/NAS drives are just like normal hard drives, they're just slightly optimised to run for long periods of time with constant data being written. I've had surveillance drives operating in a DVR, but now I've got them as backup drives as I replaced the DVR unit last year.

Reaction score
Support for Disk Drives Beyond 2.2 TeraBytes (TB) and 4K Advanced Format Sectors. Most legacy systems built before 2011 have a traditional PC BIOS. This type of BIOS uses a Master Boot Record (MBR). The MBR Partitions can define a disk drive capacity up to 2.2TB.
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/218619en

Reaction score
I added Hitachi 6Tb NAS drive to my motherboard(Intel, a SATA 3 port) and Windows doesn't see it. I can see this hard drive in BIOS only. The Hard drive is new, just bought it.

No extra tool needed. Windows can partition a large drive like that just not with a MBR partitioning system. What needs to be done if you want to be it a single partition is partition as GPT. This can be done in the disk management. I have done it before like that with a 3TB drive and it works just fine...

Ask a Question