narrator kept popping up at system boots

Reaction score
OK since I couldn't find any way to stop this thing from constantly showing up at every boot , even after ALL settings for it were "OFF" I decided to go another route. It was really beginning to bug me. I had to close it manually each time to get rid of it.

I opened the system 32 folder in Windows, found the narrator.exe did a right click and took ownership of it and changed all security settings to full control, than re named the thing using a - in front of the name and saved it.

that did it and now its gone.....................!!!!!

if I really ever wanted to use it I can always reverse the name back.

Reaction score
I had a problem getting both narrator and magnifier to stop running automatically on every boot. It was a simple fix but very aggravating to discover.

What ended up working for me was to get to "Ease of Access" from settings. Once there I made sure that the narrator button was turned to the on position (also this is the same process for magnifier). You will more then likely have to turn the narrator position switch from on, back to off, then switch it back to on again. This will force the other options located under the narrator on/off selection, to become visible again.

For some unknown reason, once you have booted with the narrator running on startup, these options disappear. After turning narrator on, off and back on again, you will see directly under the narrator on/off selector, another selection that was not available or visible, until you turned narrator on, off and then back on again.

The selection you are looking for is now available. It is labeled "Start Narrator Automatically", switch that selection from on, back to off. After that, It really doesn't matter if you turn the narrator off or not. The next time you reboot, narrator (also magnifier if you changed that too) will not automatically turn on and run on every boot.

Obviously there is a simple error in Windows 10. Once you automatically boot with narrator or magnifier running, you will not see the option of "Start Narrator Automatically" in the ease of access options. It does not become visible again, until you turn the narrator (or magnifier) selection from on, to off and then back to on again.

Reaction score
well lol I ran the sfc/scannow just to check the system, and it found files to fix, well lol, the file to fix I assume was the narrator.exe that I had renamed, it ended up replacing the stupid file and now I had narrator re appear on my boot this morning, man..... so I guess its back to renaming the thing and know if I ever run sfc again I'll have the thing to deal with yet again.

Reaction score
well lol I ran the sfc/scannow just to check the system, and it found files to fix, well lol, the file to fix I assume was the narrator.exe that I had renamed, it ended up replacing the stupid file and now I had narrator re appear on my boot this morning, man..... so I guess its back to renaming the thing and know if I ever run sfc again I'll have the thing to deal with yet again.

Have you tried the Ease of Access routine suggested by elixir ?
Ease of access >
Make the computer easier to see > turn off Narrator.
Make it easier to focus on tasks > turn off Narrator.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Thank you.
I don't involve myself into a chat-room like discussion which does nothing but creating pages and pages of never ending, long-winded "personal opinions".

My only purpose of being here is to try to help others with computer problems....... if I can.
That's all.

Reaction score
Thank you.
I don't involve myself into a chat-room like discussion which does nothing but creating pages and pages of never ending, long-winded "personal opinions".

My only purpose of being here is to try to help others with computer problems....... if I can.
That's all.

? OK, dono what thats about, wasn't interested in any either, just wanted to show you the back and forth btwn me and that guy on this, as in "trying to help others". I just figured you was some mod type and may be able to just move that stuff to this form since it has more to do with this than the one about "what I don't like" it would clear the "chat room" type stuff from that area and put it here where it would make more sense.

Besides the "chat" is over with it anyway, but thanks for trying to inform me.

Reaction score
OK since I couldn't find any way to stop this thing from constantly showing up at every boot , even after ALL settings for it were "OFF" I decided to go another route. It was really beginning to bug me. I had to close it manually each time to get rid of it.

I opened the system 32 folder in Windows, found the narrator.exe did a right click and took ownership of it and changed all security settings to full control, than re named the thing using a - in front of the name and saved it.

that did it and now its gone.....................!!!!!

if I really ever wanted to use it I can always reverse the name back.

Reaction score
I had the same problem with the Feb 9 ,2016 release, and could not get rid of narrator
to save my life, BUT I ran the Microsoft update troubleshooter and it did fix it,
although not the first time. initially it said I had corrupted registration, but I ran
it again (could have been a different link, but looks like the same troubleshooter)
AND IT FIXED IT HORAY (cus cus MS though in the first place)
this site..
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-10

Reaction score
Not to necro an old thread, but I just ran into this on the Nov 2015 release and here's something different that fixed it for me:

Control Panel>Ease of Access > Ease of Access Center on the left side panel is the admin option "Change sign-in settings"

Click on that (allow to make changes as required) Under the "After Sign-in" column of "Assistive Technology" I unchecked the box for "Hear text on screen read aloud (Narrator)"

That fixed it for me. Like please if it worked for you.

Ask a Question