Need a Windows 10 up-to-date installation file

Reaction score
I want to perform a repair install and am looking to download an up-to-date installation file. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
The latest publicly available installation file can be created by downloading the ISO from the above link and then
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
OR
Simply use the media creation tool to create the installation media of your choosing interactively.

Afterwards simply manually check Windows Updates. There'll likely be one Cumulative Update as well as something for Windows Defender and a Security update for Adobe Flash Player.

Reaction score
I would recommend to create a bootable USB drive which can be done as mentioned above via RUFUS but also through the Media creation tool (it can create a dvd or a bootable USB drive). I recommend a USB drive for one reason: you can always copy the newest updates on it and that way install a system completely offline (ok, the Windows defender updates need to be done online). That is how I do it always.Whenever a new cumulative update comes out (mostly every second Tuesday of the month) I delete the old one and copy the new one downloaded from the windows catalog onto it. That way I always have an up to date installation medium.

The links were already provided by Trouble and I do not need to post them again....

Reaction score
Thank you - sounds like a great protocol. Do you get notified when the newest version comes out? Also, how large a USB thumb drive do you use? I'm downloading the ISO file right now - and will create a CD from it. Then, I'll perform the repair install. Any suggestions or cautions?

Reaction score
Depending on the architecture you need (32bit or 64bit), if you download only one of them, a 8GB stick will do. That leaves enough room for future update on it. I myself create always a kinda All-In-One which houses both architectures. with future update it will need a 16GB stick.

regarding the repair: it is basically installing over the old one. You may end up with two windows folders (one is named windows.old). Only thing that needs to be done after install is finished, is to get it uptodate again and have windows update install all current updates.
If I remember correctly, a repair install gives you options to keep your programs and files or to make a clean install, but I am not 100% sure....

Reaction score
Thank you again! I have 64bit W10 Pro. I don't understand your comment about architecture and exactly what you put on your stick and how often you update it. Your method sounds like I'd like to follow it. Would you please give me more detail about what's on the stick and how often you update it - then, how you use it? I'm fairly proficient with my PC, but am having trouble with head pain (>20 years, every day) and often can't think too clearly. Happens when you get old. Thanks again!!!!!

Reaction score
the architecture I was talking about refers to the system as in 32bit or "x86" and 64bit or "x64" .
Since you have the 64bit variant you can create a bootable USB drive ( 8GB is more than sufficient ) using the Media creation tool. This is you basis for installing. I simply added a folder named "updates" on the USB stick where I save the most recent updates as there are the Cumulative Updates (CU), Updates for the Adobe Flash player and on occasion an Update called Servicing Stack update.
These updates are stored as well on the USB drive so that in case I have to reinstall I do not have to download all updates again. These Updates are released every second Tuesday of the month and I download those from the Windows Update catalog ( http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx ). Since I have several computer to maintain it cuts down on download volume since I have to download only once. On occasion Microsoft releases a non-security update late in the month which is also a cumulative update. It usually replaces the previous CU and as always, the CU increases the build # .
This way I always have the most recent updates for offline installation.
This forum here is an excellent source of which updates are released when. Looking up the KB # in the catalog gives me the chance to download the updates mostly before the automatic update gets them.

I hope I have explained it in terms that work for you. The procedure above has so far served me well and Windows 10 is reinstalled basically in a heartbeat with all the updates (except the Windows Defender signature files but those are minimal in download compared to the CU's)

Reaction score
Excellent - I believe I understand it all. As soon as I can, I will set it up as you explained. All I need is an 8GB USB Thumb Drive and the time to do this. Do you have a backup thumb drive? When I backup my system, I have at least two external USB drives and I backup to both. Of course, I'm backing up my entire system as it exists.

Reaction score
I do not have a backup thumb drive for my system backups. I am using a 2TB external HDD to backup my systems and I keep usually at least three backups per system (hence the 2TB). I also back up my data (pictures,music etc)to a network computer I have just for storage. My files are stored in at least 4 different places, so in case of a drive crash (happens recently more frequently due to age) I still have at least two copies on different drives. Backing up files and system have become a kind of paranoid habit since I lost a vast amount of files several years back. At that time the concept of "backup" was something I had not considered to be that important....

Reaction score
Oops - I went to the update site you recommended and didn't know what to search for (tried Windows 10 but came up with way too many replies). Please tell me what key words to search for.

Also, in the past when I would download the Windows ISO file, I would have to write it to a DVD. What exactly am I downloading to my thumb drive then, how would I use it to do a repair install (you said you use it offline and I don't understand that). I'm probably confused again. I'll get the latest drivers from Dell and the order in which to install them.

What is the non-security update called?

What is the Servicing Stack update?

Please know that I am learning from you and I appreciate the help. I just need a little more detail to make things clear to me. Thank you!

Reaction score
the Cumulative updates all have a KB number as in kb4020102 (which is the latest at this time until next Tuesday).
Every second Tuesday of the month Microsoft releases Security updates like the cumulative updates. These content all previous updates and only those needed will be installed, yet one has to download the whole update.
Non-security updates will be released on occasion late in the month. They are mostly bug fixes that have not been addressed yet (thats what I am thinking).
Servicing stack update: I found a good explanation here:
1. What is servicing and what does the servicing stack do?

Servicing is the name of configuring Windows updates or Windows features (installing, removing updates/features). This can be done when Windows is running (Online) or against a not running Windows partition/or mounted WIM (offline):
[please continue to read here: https://superuser.com/questions/1096947/what-is-the-servicing-stack-and-how-does-it-work ]

BTW: If your computer has a wireless interface, you can set it to a "metered connection". Windows update will show you available Updates including the KB #. With that number you can look in the catalog mentioned before and download that for offline installation. The only updates you wont find in the catalog are the ones for Windows Defender and the Malicious software removal tool.

Reaction score
When I get to the page you pointed me too, there's only a search box. What do I type in to get to the latest cumulative Windows 10 (x64) update? I typed in what I thought would bring it up - but I was wrong.

Reaction score
kb4020102 is the latest CU. type that the description [kb4020102] in the search box then hit [search]
the result will look like this:
2017-06-09_202013.jpg

then you can click on [download] for the file you need for your computer (in your case the one that says 'x64-based systems').
save it in a location of your choice and you will be able to install it offline and do not have to download for each computer again...

Reaction score
Sorry, but more questions:

I did what you told me (above) and downloaded the CU on an 8GB thumb drive in a folder named "Windows 10 Cumulative Updates."

Without your help, how would I have found the search term 'kb4020102'?

When I download the next update, do I use 'kb4020102' again?

How do I find the Servicing Stack download?

How do I find the Security Downloads?

I think some of the answers to my questions are in the following that you wrote:
BTW: If your computer has a wireless interface, you can set it to a "metered connection". Windows update will show you available Updates including the KB #. With that number you can look in the catalog mentioned before and download that for offline installation. The only updates you wont find in the catalog are the ones for Windows Defender and the Malicious software removal tool.

I don't know what a metered connection is nor how to use it. Please help me out.

I enjoy learning and doing some research on my own. However, I've never been exposed to your method and that's why I have so many questions. I'd like to set up my Workstation exactly like yours - but I know that I need more detail from you. Thanks again!!!

Reaction score
Without your help, how would I have found the search term 'kb4020102'?
Look in the Windows 10 News section. the newest CU's will be posted there
When I download the next update, do I use 'kb4020102' again?
No
How do I find the Servicing Stack download?
Look in the Windows 10 News section. I try to keep up-to-date.
How do I find the Security Downloads?
Look in the Windows 10 News section.
I think some of the answers to my questions are in the following that you wrote:

I don't know what a metered connection is nor how to use it. Please help me out.
A metered connection is if your provider charges you per downloaded volume. The more you download, the more they charge.
Windows update will not download updates on a metered connection unless you allow it. If your computer has a wireless connection you can set it as "metered".
To do that, open SETTINGS, then click on NETWORK&INTERNET. there you click on WIFI.It will show now the name of your wireless connection (if you have any). Click on that and you get the properties of your connection as in the following screenshot of mine:

2017-06-10_071520.jpg

I hope I was able to answer your questions.
BTW: You don't have to set up your computer exactly like mine. I have set up mine in a way that works for me. That does not mean it will work for you as well. It took me a lot of time and a steep learning curve to get where I am right now and I am by far not at my destination yet. All I can do is giving you recommendations.
Look around in this forum and grab all the info you need. There are by far more knowledgeable people here than me that can help you as well.
As we all have to learn and keep up with progress, it may be advised to enroll in a computer course. I did at a local college. It helps to understand the how and why of the inner workings.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I will certainly follow your direction and, hopefully, my learning curve won't be as steep as yours was/is. It's great to have someone point you in the right direction.

So, I have that file on my thumb drive. What steps do I now take to perform a repair install? Can I run it directly from the thumb drive? As I've said before, I've done this from an ISO written to a DVD - but have no experience with the thumb drive approach. I don't want to do something wrong that corrupts my PC - too much to lose. However, before I do anything, I will be sure to have two images of my hard drive and two images of my data drive. I'm ready to go!

Reaction score
Booting from the USB drive is basically the same as booting from the DVD. You just have to make sure when you start your computer to get in the Boot menu (not the BIOS). On some computer it is the <F9> key, others have the <F2> key, others however need to hit the <ESC> key to get in that menu. You should be able to see the message when you start the computer which key to hit....

Reaction score
Hello again. Today I tried to boot from the thumb drive and a message told me there was no operating system on the drive. So I tried to execute the *.msu program (cumulative updates) and that didn't work either. I know I'm missing something. I know you can only perform a repair install from within Windows (while it's running). Do you know what step(s) I'm missing? Thanks........

Reaction score
How did you create the Flash Drive?? It seems your drive is not bootable so I am thinking that something went awry when creating it...

Please explain step by step so I can recreate it....

Ask a Question