SOLVED Need advice about an MP4 Player

Reaction score
I am using a Toshiba 64-bit laptop, running Windows 10 Home, 8gb memory, 1Tb hard drive.

Here's why I need the advice. Starting about four days ago, when I turned my laptop on that morning, nothing worked. No programs would start, about the only thing that worked was File Explorer and the Cmd prompt. I was even considering reformating the hard drive and starting over. <Yikes!> I spent three 14-16 hour days and finally have those problems fairly well beaten into submission. At least about 98%, I think. Not bad for a mainframe girl who knows very little about PCs. :)

Before all these problems happened, I had downloaded some instructional videos from youtube (mp4) and would just click on them and they would open and play with no problem. Unfortunately, I didn't think to look at what app was opening those videos. I'm quite sure it was free as I only wanted to view them, not do anything fancy at all. So I'm quite sure I would not have paid for just a player. Now when I click on a video it gives me one of those twinui errors which, I understand, indicates there isn't a default program set for opening MP4 files. I did not delete or change any video default settings. So some piece of scan or repair software that I ran must have.

I did not do any fancy settings the Video Player software, that I remember. It would open full screen and at the bottom, in the center, there was the pause/play button. On either side of there were buttons giving the option of going either 10 seconds backward or 30 seconds forward. Those are the options that are most important to me. Many of the videos were for crochet projects in foreign languages and were showing detailed stitches. Since I didn't understand the language, I would have to replay certain sections many times to see exactly what was being done.

Does anyone know of an MP4 Player that works this way? I attached a picture showing the MP4 Players that I have tried and none of these are what open the videos before. Thanks for any help you can give.
Search for MP4 Player1.JPG

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi morlaine,

From your description I believe you were using Microsoft's Films & TV app

Sample image of Films & TV app

Untitled.png

If this is what you were using then:

• Click Start > Settings cog > Apps
  • In left pane select Default apps
  • Scroll down a little, to Video Player and left-click then select Films & TV
Sample image

upload_2017-6-6_16-29-57.png

If its not present then select 'Look for an app in the Store' and in the Store search box type Microsoft Films & TV then press Enter key and in results select Films & TV then click the Install button

Once installed, return to Start > Settings cog > Apps > Default apps and select Films & TV for your Video Player

If having done this, it still will not open mp4 videos, then:
  • Press Windows Key + S together to give focus to your Search/Cortana field
  • In the Search/Cortana field type Control then in search results click Control Panel
  • When the Control Panel opens in the top right of window select View by: large icons
  • Now click Default Programs
  • Click Associate a file type or protocol with a program
  • Give the window a moment to populate then left-click on the first listed item to highlight it. Now press and hold down your 'period' key (full stop) then press M + P keys. This will help you quickly scroll down to the .mp2, .mp3, .mp4 section of the list.
  • When in that part of list left-click on .mp4 and now in top right side of window, click the Change program ... button.
  • In the pop-up window select Films & TV or if not present, then Look for an app in the store and click OK then as earlier said, install the App
It may help to restart computer after doing this to make the setting stick.​

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you, thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. I hate depending on other people to do the work for me so it took another few hours of work to find out how to get this reinstalled as it was missing from my computer. Plus I get to learn a lot of new stuff in the process.

I ended up at this URL and followed the instructions. I didn't know about Powershell, I learned something new. I did the Remove even though I knew it was missing, however, Windows seemed to think it was still there and would not reinstall until I did the Remove.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...in-win10/ed03dcd4-aa91-44d7-8925-c1d0c1566a77

Search for MP4 Player4.JPG

And now I can play all those videos just like before the pc problems. Again, thank you so much. I appreciate your time and your help.

Ask a Question