Need help muting a window from within another window.

Reaction score
Ok so i have no clue where to ask this but i figured the answer might lie within a windows 10 shortcut so im gonna ask this here.
My problem is i like to play games and have apps like twitch or pandora radio in the background of my game whilst i play, but when the action picks up i want to quick mute google chrome from within the game without have to tab out. What im really looking for is if someone knows how to set up a shortcut to mute chrome using a hotkey which can be toggled from within another window. I looked for hours and there seems to be no answer :eek:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately, because of the way most Games work (especially in full screen mode but even in windowed mode) and the way Windows itself works, I don't believe that you can apply any function (not even a hotkey) to a program that does not have focus (running in the background). I suspect that even in Windowed mode, if you could still see the taskbar, the simple act of right clicking the speaker icon to bring up the mixer to mute or adjust the volume on another running program would still steal focus from the game.

Ask a Question