Need Help with Slow Internet Speeds

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to these forums and have updated to Windows 10 just a little over a month ago. When I upgraded I had to buy a new usb wifi adapter for my computer as my old one would no longer work on Windows 10. I threw away the box on my new adapter but I think it is a AC600. At first my internet speeds were decent, and then they got even better with me often having download speeds on Steam over 1 MB/s. However, over the last few days my internet has not connected and today I managed to get it connected but now everything is so slow I cannot get webpages to load (was going to look for new drivers) or download any game updates. I did manage to get lucky and have Steam work a bit but I am working with a speed of 20 KB/s right now (actually just saw it went to 12 BYTES/s!!).

I did some testing on Speedtest.net from my Mac and was getting between 19 and 28 mbps each time and even hit 32 once.

I use Comcast Xfinity, but I don't think that is the problem. My iPad, iPhone, and the Mac laptop I am writing this on all work just fine. It is definitely my Windows 10 box. It is past the 1-month I had to roll back to Windows 7 so I need to figure out a good way to deal with this. Do I need a better wifi adapter? Do I need to change settings somewhere? I am up for giving anything a shot.

Any help would be appreciated. I will go ahead an apologize if this exact question has been asked and answered before, I would hate for my first post on a new forum to be an easily found answer. However, I have not found anything that has worked with my problem yet, though my frustration may be playing into giving up early as well. I am somewhat decent at computers, but I do not know much about networking at all so I may need some detail in what I should try. Thanks so much for your help and your patience with me on this.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
I got the same problem. I found that in Windows 10 though you block your update, but it takes sometimes update like for security or malware protection when you use data.
The main data consumption is taken by "windows host process". It makes the internet speed slow in my pc.

Reaction score
Thanks for responding to this! I do appreciate it! I'll take a look and see if that Host process is something I need to look into.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Download the free version of Malwarebytes. Run this program and see if you have any malware on your system. It will slow down the system quite a bit if there is any on it. Then run a scan of your antivirus. My bet is malware on the computer is slowing it down.

Ask a Question