Need of a powerful laptop for Hyper-v labs

Reaction score
Hi,
i have a need of a powerful new laptop that i will use for labs with Win10 and server 2019-sql,iis and so on. i will use Hyper-v on my Win10. I think that i will need at least 64gb Ram and at least 1TB ssd or maybe 2Tb. But what cpu will be prefered? Any opinions? Any other considerations?
/L

Reaction score
You'll want to custom order a business or Gaming notebook. I know Asus and Dell have these options to build what you need on most models.
You don't want to buy any notebook off the self-planning to upgrade later, While this is possible on some models, not all, and most not easily accomplished. You will want to ensure all your RAM matches up so upgrading later is not such a good idea as you won't know until after you buy additional RAM whether it will work or not. You'll want to get the correct CPU and GPU these are not upgradeable on notebooks at all anymore.

Reaction score
You'll want to custom order a business or Gaming notebook. I know Asus and Dell have these options to build what you need on most models.
You don't want to buy any notebook off the self-planning to upgrade later, While this is possible on some models, not all, and most not easily accomplished. You will want to ensure all your RAM matches up so upgrading later is not such a good idea as you won't know until after you buy additional RAM whether it will work or not. You'll want to get the correct CPU and GPU these are not upgradeable on notebooks at all anymore.
What about cpu? I7 or Xeon? Maybe not so much difference? Or is it?
/L

Reaction score
I haven't see Xeon CPU in notebooks this may be an option in serious business Notebooks I have on in one of my business desktops it's impressive for serious CPU-intensive tasks and I have no fear of it running 24-7. With a notebook, you are limited by space for Heat Sinks and fans to move air over them. My last Gaming Notebook Asus G752 had a great cooling setup and is now in its 6th year is still working great for what I use it for. The one I had previously G75 was still running that I know of up until this year I had given it to my sister and she used it until her death in April this year.

My experience with notebooks is no matter what brand you by, there will be a certain percentage that comes new with issues the more popular ones sell more notebooks so they have more issues. So its important to investigate further once you decide what company you want to purchase from and what model and how you want it set up from the factory. Once you know this go look at the tech support forum. Dell has them for each type of notebook, Asus has one for Gaming ROG notebooks. What you have to understand is mostly the only people that show up in these forums are the people that have issues. My solution is to custom order and buy the Warranty Support packages for me that have full coverage for 3 years. Dell has the best warranty packages. This has worked out for me. my G752 has never had a hardware issue. My Dell Inspiron just had a warranty issue that paid for the warranty package. Replacing a full touch screen because the built-in camera was a $385 Replacement

You have a couple of options to get exactly what you want/need. Directly from the manufacture ordering a custom model. There are custom notebook Vendors that take notebooks and build them to the specification your request within what is possible. this is an example of a reputable custom notebook builder. There are several in the business google for them

Reaction score
You want a cpu with as many cores/threads as possible. If you're running VM's, you're splitting your resources. Laptop Xeon's are expensive. I'd look at a 6 core i7.

Ask a Question