SOLVED netplwz not working

Reaction score
Searching for the above online only seems to get results for what I am trying to do via netplwz.

My problem is although I have used this many times previously, now when I try to Run netplwz I get the following error log from Windows
"Windows cannot find 'netplwz'. Make sure you have typed the name correctly, then try again"

I have a 'ghost' user account which has recently appeared and has been made, by Microsoft, I assume to be the main account and always shows when starting up my computer. Tells me incorrect password, I press ok then in the bottom corner it shows both the ghost account and the original account (with photo) which I can then click and get into my account.

No matter how I try to get into netplwz I get the same Windows error message and just do not know how to proceed from here!

I am rather fearful that there is something wrong with Windows 10 on my computer which is an HP all in One, about one year old, and I am using the latest version of Windows 10 home fully updated. The ghost account has been around for a few months now, but I have only just got around to trying to fix it, so not sure how long netplwz has been missing.

I am a female senior and not all techie, just a very basic need to know understanding, so any help would have to be addressed bearing that in mind!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Searching for the above online only seems to get results for what I am trying to do via netplwz.

My problem is although I have used this many times previously, now when I try to Run netplwz I get the following error log from Windows
"Windows cannot find 'netplwz'. Make sure you have typed the name correctly, then try again"

I have a 'ghost' user account which has recently appeared and has been made, by Microsoft, I assume to be the main account and always shows when starting up my computer. Tells me incorrect password, I press ok then in the bottom corner it shows both the ghost account and the original account (with photo) which I can then click and get into my account.

No matter how I try to get into netplwz I get the same Windows error message and just do not know how to proceed from here!

I am rather fearful that there is something wrong with Windows 10 on my computer which is an HP all in One, about one year old, and I am using the latest version of Windows 10 home fully updated. The ghost account has been around for a few months now, but I have only just got around to trying to fix it, so not sure how long netplwz has been missing.

I am a female senior and not all techie, just a very basic need to know understanding, so any help would have to be addressed bearing that in mind!
netplwiz

Reaction score
Thank you, I had used a thread on here and copied the thread to help with my ghost account problem, and unfortunately, they too had missed out the i in wiz! so I stood no chance with that working. Strangely nothing I looked up on the web pointed me in that direction, so again, many thanks.

Reaction score
Ever since the last auto update the password was required. Nothing worked. Spoke to ms which eventually disconnected me, spoke to them on chat, not helpful. Finally went into User Control and said to sign in locally. Added local user name and left password fields blank. This worked. Hope it helps you.

Ask a Question