Network connections not restored after upgrade to 1803

Reaction score
This is the message that comes up on all three of my computers after the upgrade and I don't know how to proceed. Please help.
upload_2018-5-11_16-32-28.png

Attachments

• permissopn.PNG
    permissopn.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 778
Reaction score
The update may have defaulted your password permissiions.

Have a look in Settings - Network and Internet
Click on "Sharing Options"
Click on "All Networks"
Turn off "password protected sharing"
See if it works for you

Reaction score
and worked perfectly before the upgrade to 1803. This
Hi ottiliegirl,

are you logged in using a local account or your MS account?.

Take a look here, it may help?:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-fix-network-connection-issues :)
I am logged in to my local account. The article above is no help. All of those things had already been tried. I can access the internet. I cannot communicate with my three computers. They are mapped to drives"Q", "P" and "S"

Reaction score
The update may have defaulted your password permissiions.

Have a look in Settings - Network and Internet
Click on "Sharing Options"
Click on "All Networks"
Turn off "password protected sharing"
See if it works for you
I believe this is close to what needs to be done but it did not work. Somehow I have lost the permissions. How do I get them back. The message I get now reads "Windows cannot access \\patspurplepc\ottiliegirl\. You do not have permission. " I had permission before upgrading to 1803. By the way this happens every time there is an upgrade.

Reaction score
Hi ottiliegirl,

have you looked here? :):

upload_2018-5-14_5-41-1.png

I don't use such things myself so cannot really help you further sorry!. :confused:

Reaction score
Press the Windows and "R" keys simultaneously, type "services.msc" into the "Run" box and click "OK". Find the following two services and make sure they are set to start automatically. If they aren't, right-click them, select "Properties" and change them. You may have to restart the computer for the change to take effect.

Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication

Ben

Reaction score
If it didn't help, you might as well change it back. Also, make sure the folders you are trying to share are configured as such.

Ben

Reaction score
I just read some other posts and someone mentioned a mapped drive with a red X on it. Prior to this upgrade all mapped drives on my computers had red X's on them but they all worked properly. Now the mapped drives have no red X's. The computers are named "desktop", "silver" and "purple". The silver and purple can access files on the desktop computer but the desktop cannot access either the silver or the purple. Also the silver and purple cannot access each other. I don't know if any of this is important but I thought I should share it. Thanks for listening.

Reaction score
ottilliegirl,

Try going to the Open action center, then All settings and then Network and Internet. On the status page which opens, go down the page to Network Reset in blue and left click it. Tell it you want to reset the network, wait a bit and it will tell you the machine needs to be restarted. Do a restart and your network should be functional once again. (You might/might not need to map the drives again). After the 1803 update this reset must be performed for the shares to function again.

Al

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea but I couldn't find the Action Center. While trying to find it I'm told it is on the task bar using the icon for notifications. When I open it it brings up Notifications and nothing indicates Action Center. How do I find what you would like me to try?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Click Start Button, click the Settings cog, click Network & Internet, click Network reset

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
You can also type Network in the Cortana search box and then select the best match Network Status to open the page shown above in Trouble's post.

After you left click on the notification box on your taskbar, you need to left click the All Settings cog to see everything available.

Reaction score
Ok, got it! I reset all three computers. Now all three have red X'es on them and the message I get is "network path not found". "The connection has not been restored." So I right clicked on properties and under "type" it says "disconnected Network Drive". How do I get them reconnected?

Reaction score
Press the Windows and "R" keys simultaneously, type "services.msc" into the "Run" box and click "OK". Find the following two services and make sure they are set to start automatically. If they aren't, right-click them, select "Properties" and change them. You may have to restart the computer for the change to take effect.

Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication

Ben
...as so many other suggestions - this too has NOT worked for me, or rather "I have done all of that" and Network between 2 win10pro (64) PCs never came back to live. Shame on MS for changing (a) my most elementary settings back to (their) Standard and (b) for disappearing HOME- or other NET-WORK's automatic recognition without CLEAR instructions as to how to repair that anomaly; or rather: WTH would MS fiddle with something so normal and essential for a home network and expect us THE USERS to go through tons of forum suggestions, which often just resemble what was on our 2 (two!) PCs to begin with?!
Not happy at all - ah: same thing when starting with a totally virgin win10pro on SSD - hello MS?! ! !

Ask a Question