SOLVED Network Devices Not Showing on Wi-Fi

Reaction score
I am working with a Dell XPS9000 desktop, HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop and MS Surface Pro 3 all under Windows 10 Pro with latest updates. I am unable to see my network devices on the laptop or the Surface 3 when connected via Wi-Fi. If I connect the laptop via Ethernet, all is fine. Have not been able to find solution by snooping on the net.

Attachments

• Ntwrk_Dev.png
    Ntwrk_Dev.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 591

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF your wireless is set as public rather than private it may be causing your issue
Start Button -> Settings -> Network & Internet -> Left column select your wireless connection -> right pane click your connection ->
Make sure the slider "Make this PC discoverable" is "On"
That should switch it to a private setting

Reaction score
I am working with a Dell XPS9000 desktop, HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop and MS Surface Pro 3 all under Windows 10 Pro with latest updates. I am unable to see my network devices on the laptop or the Surface 3 when connected via Wi-Fi. If I connect the laptop via Ethernet, all is fine. Have not been able to find solution by snooping on the net.
IF your wireless is set as public rather than private it may be causing your issue
Start Button -> Settings -> Network & Internet -> Left column select your wireless connection -> right pane click your connection ->
Make sure the slider "Make this PC discoverable" is "On"
That should switch it to a private setting

Thanks much for the suggestion, Trouble. The laptop is set to "Make this PC discoverable". Unfortunately, the problem remains. This worked fine prior to upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 8.1. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Wolfgang Stachel
(e-mail address removed)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Generally if you have Windows configured properly
Then often the problem is linked to a third party security software product.
Since you remarked that it seems fine with a wired Ethernet connection then I would suspect that some "trust" box or button needs to be clicked or checked or configured properly to trust the wireless network as well.

Reaction score
Since you remarked that it seems fine with a wired Ethernet connection then I would suspect that some "trust" box or button needs to be clicked or checked or configured properly to trust the wireless network as well.
For some inexplicable reason, my laptop was connected to the network via the guest option. Things are back to normal for now. Thanks for the help.

Ask a Question