Network instability issues when serving files from localhost

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First time poster here.

I have an issue with my Windows 10 Pro installation. Whenever I try to serve a local website from localhost (either using the nodejs http-server, browser-sync etc. or IIS) the request takes ages to process and the assets do not load completely or correctly. This also happens when browsing websites but a lot less frequent.

For example, if images eventually do load, they load only partially or badly decoded - like a messed up jigsaw puzzle.
Even the default IIS website which only contains one .png image out of 3 requests, once it fails to load the image.

Curiously however, today I was doing some debugging from visual studio with IIS Express and the website I was debugging worked perfectly.

If I am to load a static html website using either IIS or a nodejs web-server and navigate to it via localhost or 127.0.0.1 the issue above occurs.
If I open an webpage with File > Open from the browser it works perfectly though - so the issue must be web-server / localhost related.

Additionally, it seems the network is not stable enough to allow file downloads.
Each time I try and download a file from the internet it fails. Chrome says Failed - Network Error while Edge just says it cannot download the file. I have to hit resume several times just to get a few Kb of data.

The issue occurred some time after I've reinstalled windows - this weekend.

I'm running windows 10 Pro Insider's build 14965 on a Dell XPS 15 9550. This is the same build I was running before I did a windows 10 reinstall and I did not have this issue.

Things I've tried:
Boot up an Ubuntu live cd - it serves files from localhost perfectly so I don't think it's a hardware issue. Also downloads work
Disable antivirus software - issue still there
Disable windows firewall - no change
Disable IPv6 - nothing changed
Disable any power saving and WMM features from the wireless adapter
Cleared all cache and cookies from the browsers - still no luck
Manually set DNS server
Cleared DNS and WinSock cache/catalog
Reinstalled all network drivers and then some older versions - no change
Did a full network reset - no change

Things that are working:
- Doing a network speed test yields expected results with a decent ping ms time
- Downloading from torrents, doing a npm install or wget works
- General browsing most of the time works though sometime some assets from third party websites fail to load. ie: the wysiwyg editor from this forum did not load from the first try, I had to reload a couple of times.

The only option I can think of now is to do a windows reinstall, but I simply cannot afford doing it during this week
010.png

Has anyone else encountered this issue or anything similar?
Thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited:

Ask a Question