SOLVED Never seen this before.

Reaction score
A friend called my up to say that her USB network adapter had stopped working between last night and this am.
She is running version 1607 , receives bug updates but has not seen 1703 ( not surprisingly)

The adapter had disappeared from Network and sharing centre.
We went off to device manager to uninstall it, restart the PC and hopefully let W10 get it going.

clicked on Network adapters and it was not there BUT there were several adapters that looked like this.

WAN Miniport (IP) with the protocol inside the brackets being IKEv2,IP,IPV6,L2TP PPOE,PPTP,SSTP.
plus her unused Ethernet adapter (RealTek GBE)

No sign of the real adapter.

So I looked at my device mgr No sign of these things, just my Ethernet adapter ( RealTek GBE).I plugged in a known working WiFi adapter (Dlink) and started it up ( I think I already had the drivers loaded, or Windows did.

I see the Realtek, I see the Dlink AND I see all these WAN miniport things as well.

They don't seem to do any harm on my PC but where did they come from and why are they there and can they be deleted? (uninstalled)

Are they from the last cumulative update or that other W10 update that appeared this month?

Last edited:
Reaction score
So the known good Dlink adapter plugged in and it came up tried to connect, was given password and SSID , connected and dropped out...minute later tried again and so on. Updated to Dlink's latest driver no change.

All this by phone. I am going over there tomorrow to see what is going on.

Bif

Reaction score
Hi Tim,
That's really strange..I can't figure what might be causing it, now I'm intrigued... will follow this one!
The D-Link connecting and dropping might indicate a compatibility issue..but it's just a D-link router.. about as benign as you can get.

Reaction score
IT is not clear who is dropping. The router is a nearly new TPLink and other wifi and wired devices are fine.

The original WiFi device was working last night and had worked for years on W10. The one I sent over was a Dlink and before sending it I plugged it into my own pc and it worked fine.

When I go to the site tomorrow I will follow up on all the device properties and the state of the router.

I am always a bit suspicious of stuff that works on Sunday night and suddenly stops working Monday morning.

Bif

Reaction score
Might try a factory reset on the router if you haven't already done that..the 30-30-30 reset..
30 seconds with reset depressed
30 seconds depressed while unplugged
30 seconds after plugging back in.
Had a similar issue with my Cisco as it wouldn't let me configure it because it would not erase the saved info with just the simple reset..
I'm grasping here, but maybe worth a go.

Reaction score
Solved.
1. The old Tenda network adapter was dead in the water. Took my laptop over there and it just would not be recognized.
2. The network up and down thing was the dreaded 'let the computer turn off the adapter to save power' I do NOT understand why that should even be an available option on a desktop.

So we started the long and agonizing process of downloading the June updates...probably take all night. It won't download Creators as it is set to metered.

Ask a Question