New Build 14385

Reaction score
Here's what's fixed, improved, and still broken in Windows 10 for PCs build 14385

There was, of course, a long list of fixes, improvements, and known issues. Here's what got fixed and improved in Windows 10 for PCs build 14385:

• You should no longer see a notification pop-up once a day saying that your Windows evaluation copy expires on 7/15/2016. I know this has caused a lot of you some angst so thank you for being patient.

• We have improved battery life for Surface devices.

• We fixed an issue resulting in Spotify sometimes crashing while playing music.

• We fixed an issue resulting in the Google Chrome window being clipped on the top when maximized.

• We fixed an issue with Mobile Hotspot that could result the host device bug-checking (bluescreen) and rebooting if it was sharing on a 5GHz band and the connected device browsed to certain websites.

• We fixed an issue where the pin prompt shown when connecting to certain VPNs would display behind the other open windows.

• We fixed an issue resulting in LastPass and AdBlock extensions for Microsoft Edge not showing the expected context menu items or status information in subsequently opened Edge windows. We also fixed an issue where the current tab in Edge might hang after exiting Web Notes.

• Projecting to a PC auto-discoverability is off by default. To have your PC beacon so it can be discovered and you can project to it through the Connect quick action from a Continuum enabled phone or another PC, go to Settings > System > Projecting to this PC and set “Windows PCs and phones can project to this PC when you say it’s OK” to “Available everywhere” or “Available everywhere on secure networks”. You can also set other settings on this page to your preference.
Here are the known issues:

• A recent fix went into place for the Hyper-V firmware that will that affect the ability to boot Windows Server 2016 Tech Preview 5 VMs with Secure Boot enabled. A fix for TP5 builds has been developed however, due to release schedules, the Insider Preview build changes will be released before the TP5 fix is released. During that time, if you try to boot a new TP5 VM with Secure Boot enabled, it will fail. The workaround is to disable Secure Boot during this period.

• After you install this build on a PC using a non-EN-US language, you may get error code 0x80004005 when enabling Developer Mode on the “For Developers” Settings Page. Even after seeing this error message, your machine is in developer mode and you should still be able to use Visual Studio to develop Universal Windows Applications. In most cases, this error indicates that extra components required by the operating system to enable additional debugging features in Visual Studio or the Windows Device Portal could not be installed automatically. To fix this:

#1. Go to Settings > System.
    #2. Click on “Apps & features”
    #3. Choose “Manage Optional features”
    #4. Press the button “Add a feature”
    #5. Select the package for Windows Developer Mode
    #6. Click “Install”
    #7. Reboot your PC
    #8. Launch Command Prompt as Administrator
    #9. Run: sc config debugregsvc start=auto

Finally, return to the “For Developers” Settings page. You will still see the error code, 0x80004005 but you should now be able to enable Windows Device Portal and the Device Discovery features.
Today also marks the first time that we got a new Windows 10 build on a Saturday, or on any weekend day. It really goes to show that with Dona Sarkar at the helm of the Insider Program, all bets are off.

@Trouble

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm doing my best to at least feign a little interest in these two most recent builds.
I guess with the bugs, at a minimum and the things that are being fixed, rarely impacting my day to day use of the OS, it's difficult to justify the bother of installing new builds, although.....
I did.... three times. My physical machine, my VM and my phone.
Just to make sure they don't slip in the actual release product while my back is turned.

Reaction score
I agree, Trouble, to me it is just a solid OS as I don't use any of these features ( don't game, play music, skype etc etc) It will be interesting to see what people find as bugs after Aug 2nd. I guess there will be a lag of a few weeks while the Anniversary build arrives on all the W10 machines out there.

Maybe a new variety of bugs seen on the Forum? I am sure that some old line-of-business s/w that was persuaded to run under 10240/10586 will now stop!

Reaction score
I am not even feigning, Trouble- It is a waste of space and time- We ,( MVPs) have now opened a separate portal for advanced chat. I can assure you guys, you are most definitely not alone in your views. Quite s few of my colleagues/ mvps are quitting as a reaction to recent reaction and views on the latest Microsoft tactics and procedures. Not a question, altogether, on legality, as to moral obligation.

Reaction score
It may be mostly a waste of space and time but there IS something to be said for the many,many random ( although self selected) testers although I suspect most of them, like me, test very little. Also gets the OS out onto many different hardware configs...including the old and creaky ones and some of the ones with ancient line-of-business software.
As for tactics and procedures, I presume you are talking about the somewhat dubious ways that MS gets people to accept the upgrade?

Reaction score
I am not even feigning, Trouble- It is a waste of space and time- We ,( MVPs) have now opened a separate portal for advanced chat. I can assure you guys, you are most definitely not alone in your views. Quite s few of my colleagues/ mvps are quitting as a reaction to recent reaction and views on the latest Microsoft tactics and procedures. Not a question, altogether, on legality, as to moral obligation.
I do not see it as a waste of time. I tested Vista and Windows 7 back when MS used to mail you the DVD's. My view is that what was The Insider Hub should have been left at that. Now every user has access ,some may be 10 years old for all I now. I am leaving the program when RS1 goes final which I heard was going to be on 7.15.16. That is the day it will be sent to the OEMs so I suspect that the build we get will be the RTM build. I have jumped off 3 times in the past but ended up getting back on it. If I do this time-which I doubt-it will be on a VM.

Reaction score
To prevent misunderstanding. By "Waste of time" , at this stage I do believe all data for improvement is in the box. The builds now are, in many ways, only including very minor adjustments and nothing mind bending will be coming along. In my case, with limited download facilities, it takes about 3 hours or more to download a builds - for me, definitely a waste of (my) time.

I was also on the Windows 7/Vista Beta testing program. I must confess that , at least for me, I was only able to download builds - never anything in the post!

I got this in the invitation, at the time:
· The beta will be available in English, German, Japanese and Arabic. A language pack for Hindi will also be provided.

· Availability will be via download only. No media will be provided so you’ll need a DVD burner to create installation media

Fwiw: Quote.
More than eight million people took part in the Windows 7 beta program. Redmond made a point to say that this number was more than any Microsoft beta ever.

With one great success (Windows 7) and one near disaster (Vista) one does ponder if the number pf participants is significant.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not sure that anything in the way of consumer testing of any of the previously available Operating Systems is comparable to the current Insider Preview Program.
As I recall in previous instances, there were only a couple betas and a couple Release Candidates (maybe three, it's been a while) for us to play with, where as the volume of Builds available for us to sample by way of Technical / Insider previews have been much more numerous. I've actually lost count since the program first started.

While I agree the process is certainly time consuming, with the availability of 3 Rings to choose from and really only the "Fast" ring be inundated with these recent builds and the fact that those responsible at Microsoft being constantly bombarded with requests to make builds and release them faster and more often.....
I don't see where that activity rises to the level of a "waste".
It seems a simple choice to me....
Pick the Slow Ring or don't participate at all

Last edited:
Reaction score
"Pick the Slow Ring or don't participate at all" That would have been - was, my choice, but the MVP award has now been officially linked to the insider program, so I am back in. But, I still have the option, naturally, of what and when to choose if I wish to download.

I am not in any of the "rings"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the MVP award has now been officially linked to the insider program
WOW!
Now that sounds unfair and much like other techniques they've used to foist this Operating System on others, specifically consumers running Windows 7 and 8 with the nagging upgrade screens and then checking it by default in Windows Updates.
Shameful and now that they've been sued by one consumer (that we know of), they're doubling down with the MVP members.... utterly indefensible.
On the one hand, I can understand that they would want as many members of their clan as possible on the same page and would encourage (gently) everyone to participate, but.....
Some of their approach seems overly heavy handed (with us or against us) and I wonder sometimes if they have any loyalty at all to those of us who have supported and to some extent promoted their products over a long period of time.
Used and abused?? I guess there are plenty more where we came from. Use em up and roll the bodies out of the way.

Reaction score
Yeah, well. As I said in an earlier thread. Getting old - getting bored- getting tired of the whole thing. I am just letting it run its course then I am in "retirement".

Reaction score
I have totally dropped out of the TP 3 times and was always permitted back in. It seems that once you become a member of the Insiders Program it is a lifetime thing unless they change. I have way too many personal issues delaing with family that are more important. I do not have the time to participate as they want . So when RS1 becomes final, I will drop out. Not saying that I won't be back. But when the RS2 builds strat they will be very buggy and I do not have the time.

Reaction score
WOW!
Now that sounds unfair and much like other techniques they've used to foist this Operating System on others, specifically consumers running Windows 7 and 8 with the nagging upgrade screens and then checking it by default in Windows Updates.
Shameful and now that they've been sued by one consumer (that we know of), they're doubling down with the MVP members.... utterly indefensible.
On the one hand, I can understand that they would want as many members of their clan as possible on the same page and would encourage (gently) everyone to participate, but.....
Some of their approach seems overly heavy handed (with us or against us) and I wonder sometimes if they have any loyalty at all to those of us who have supported and to some extent promoted their products over a long period of time.
Used and abused?? I guess there are plenty more where we came from. Use em up and roll the bodies out of the way.
How does one get an MVP award?

Reaction score
In my opinion MVP title is not worth it. It's basically the same as Apple's version of "I am an iSheep". And nothing more.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In my case and I suspect most.... someone, from somewhere graciously nominated me anonymously.
I was subsequently emailed by Jake Grey at which point I thanked him and whoever did the nominating and declined.
I informed him that I was retired and looking to do less, not more.

Reaction score
Cliff. It isn't necessary to toe the MS party line, as an MVP. IO am an open critic o0n and off their pages, sometime quite nastily. In sprite of that, I have been renewed for at least the last two years, without comment - last year in spite of my suggesting that I was beginning to "lose it". Only one perk, though, and that is, free, (and early, if new) access to all of Microsoft's software - but with certain restrictions as to its use.

Gideon.
Rather than expound myself, I think this very up to date page explains all in better words than mine.
https://www.msigeek.com/4492/how-to-become-a-microsoft-mvp-most-valuable-professional

One comment. In the article it mentions experts. I would prefer the milder word Knowledgeable - and in a particular area. Most of the MVPs you see on forums are what are known as the category "Desktop experience". Generally I would suggest this means knowing your way around the GUI and how to manipulate it..

I would only add, one sure way, at one time (The policy may have changed) was to open, and have an active, help forum. Another was to be nominated by a fellow MVP, but I don't think that counts for much these days.
In my case, it was through very intensive input during the introduction, and subsequently, of XP. Looking back through my records, I posted somewhere around 10000 helpful and meaningful items on various forums. I have no idea if I was proposed, or if Microsoft employees on the forums commented. I would emphasise "meaningful". Comments such as "I agree with the previous post" Or other similar phrases are a no no.

But, as Trouble intimated, for the follow up, there are various video discussions and meetings, in which one is expected to participate. They can be of nuisance value!
Bottom line, though, is that there are signs that it is folding. I would guess its demise at the middle of next year.

Reaction score
Cliff. It isn't necessary to toe the MS party line, as an MVP. IO am an open critic o0n and off their pages, sometime quite nastily. In sprite of that, I have been renewed for at least the last two years, without comment - last year in spite of my suggesting that I was beginning to "lose it". Only one perk, though, and that is, free, (and early, if new) access to all of Microsoft's software - but with certain restrictions as to its use.

Gideon.
Rather than expound myself, I think this very up to date page explains all in better words than mine.
https://www.msigeek.com/4492/how-to-become-a-microsoft-mvp-most-valuable-professional

One comment. In the article it mentions experts. I would prefer the milder word Knowledgeable - and in a particular area. Most of the MVPs you see on forums are what are known as the category "Desktop experience". Generally I would suggest this means knowing your way around the GUI and how to manipulate it..

I would only add, one sure way, at one time (The policy may have changed) was to open, and have an active, help forum. Another was to be nominated by a fellow MVP, but I don't think that counts for much these days.
In my case, it was through very intensive input during the introduction, and subsequently, of XP. Looking back through my records, I posted somewhere around 10000 helpful and meaningful items on various forums. I have no idea if I was proposed, or if Microsoft employees on the forums commented. I would emphasise "meaningful". Comments such as "I agree with the previous post" Or other similar phrases are a no no.

But, as Trouble intimated, for the follow up, there are various video discussions and meetings, in which one is expected to participate. They can be of nuisance value!
Bottom line, though, is that there are signs that it is folding. I would guess its demise at the middle of next year.
Well I have no interest in becoming one, I was only curiuos about how one is chosen. Thanks for the Link. I will be 68 next month and it is kind of late unless they have a MVP Program for the "Home" LOL

Reaction score
Agreed it is a personal choice in the end. FWIW. I stared when I was about 63. I am 82 now. It has been fun...but...

Reaction score
Gideon we didn't know you were just a kid! I am 70 so that makes quite a gang of old farts on here.

Ask a Question