New Build 16188

Reaction score
g.PNG

Reaction score
updated very slow. Do not understand why Microsoft cannot write more efficient code.

Reaction score
make sure it is the only update that is coming down. I had to restart twice cause the WD update interfered with this update. currently it is preparing to install at 90%.

Ok, now it is downloading updates.....

[20:15 EDT] Downloading done after 5 minutes, now it is preparing to install again.....
[21:14EDT] It finally asks for a restart...

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I agree the process does seem to take quite a bit longer with these recent build updates, compared to previous updates, even the ones prior to the UUP changes.

Reaction score
How do I get rid of unwanted icons on my task list? I do not want PEOPLE or Windows Defender taking up space on my list. It would be nice to remove a lot of worthless apps that do not allow uninstall. As before, I do not have store, so many apps do not work. What is the current method of adding Store?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Generally for the taskbar you just right click and choose unpin from taskbar.
For the notification area you right click the taskbar and choose taskbar settings
Then the link that says Select which icons appear on the taskbar
AND right below that
For "People" just turn the slider off.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I did that before but did not scroll down to the People area. Now I see it and turned it off

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well.....
It's definitely happening again.
The previous build, prior to this one, broke my Photos app "live" tile.
This one smoked all my "live" tiles in my start menu tile area.
So I guess now...... they're dead tiles.

Reaction score
The issues that I reported for build 16184 LOL all they did was move them to known issues. I sent them a note that I will from now on only install every other build.

Reaction score
I have noticed on the last two or three builds that my Activation stopped. Next to Activation is says "Unable to reach Windows activation servers. I used to see the "Windows is activated with a digital license liked to your Microsoft account". I have three other Win10 computers (not insider builds) and they are all activated as usual, all on the same network.

I am not seeing any error messages from Windows - no Activation warnings. But it seems odd that the activation would stop...

Reaction score
UPDATE: I put an old (activated) image of 7 on a spare SSD and verified that it stayed activated through several reboots, and then did the 10 upgrade. BINGO! We are activated! And after a quick login to my MS account, I am again activated with a digital license linked to my MS account. Now the fun of reinstalling all my junk! Fortunately so much stuff is cloud-based, so profiles, preferences, etc. transfer much easier than in the past.

Ironically, MS called to follow up on my case, which I informed the tech that I got it going again, and "Oh by the way can you reactivate my Office 2013?", which he did. So slowly I am getting back in the saddle.

Still no idea as to what got messed up with the Insider build.

Ask a Question