What are the best PC brands?

Reaction score
Hi All,

Well, guess it's time for a new Desktop PC with W10 on it.

I realize that "the luck of the draw" plays a big part in this, but
is there any kind of consensus as to which brand is most reliable these days ? Why ?

In the past, I've had very good luck with Dell and HP, and also miserable luck with Dell and HP.

And, let me ask this also: Have an Apple iMAC. The display is truly incredible on it.
Anything similar in the Windows world that I should be sure to order ?

Would be grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks,
Bob

Reaction score
Is your iMac an all-in-one? I have a client with one and it is good. There are several Windows of the same type, HP, Dell, Gateway, Acer, ASUS so it's mostly setting a price range then going to sites like BestBuy.com, Amazon.com, TigerDirect.com, NewEgg.com just to name a few. With electronics there's always variables. I'm still running older computers with Win10, have kept a WinXP because of the floppy drive support, seems one of my clients [older] keep finding disks they want to know about and the newer motherboards have dropped physical support for the floppies.

Reaction score
It all depends what your budget is and what sort of a desktop you need? If you want an all in one high range then they can vary from the new Apple iMac Pro which can cost up $20,500 (which is a ridiculous price) to one of the more reasonable ones (for its price) which is the 'HP ENVY Curved All-in-One - 34-b011a, it comes with an Intel® Core™ i7-7700T 8-16GB ram with an AMD Radon RX460 graphics card and is a great unit for around $3,699 that's in Australian dollars, if you want an average all in one then HP, Dell and AUSUS make some good ones from around $1500 to $2500. If you want to build your own then I would again ask 'what price do you want to pay' as you can build some good units for the same as an 'All in One' or even better for the same price. My long standing preference in mobos has always been ASUS (I'm going back 18 years with them) they are well designed, reliable and perform very well, as far as a cpu the Intel i7's and i5's are very reliable and handle multitasking very well. As far as storage is concerned, you have to have an SSD or an M2 (Samsung are a proven performer in these formats) as their speeds are far superior to the old spinning platter type HDD which have been around since the 1950's. For ram, the DD4 is the current and speeds vary as do prices, Corsair, Crucial, Kingston G.Skill’s all produce some excellent ram but, the faster it is the more expensive it is, you have to choose what your budget dictates. For gaming I would go to an AMD Ryzen cpu and AMD Radon gpu, gamers prefer these as they can be overclocked and have been proven. As far as graphics cards (again choices are limitless) but, if you want to run Windows 10, I would select a GeForce card as they are more reliable with drivers and Windows. As far as monitors are concerned, your choices are limitless, the new 'All in One' desktops have touchscreens but, the desktops that you build you will have to purchase a specific touchscreen monitor for it to perform that function e.g. a 22 inch 'Multi-touch Monitor with LED' will retail for about $380 AUD. I've built many computers and I'm in the process of building a $6000 desktop which contains some of the components that I've mentioned above. Your choices are limitless when you build your own.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for help.

The iMac is of course an all in one.
Needn't be for any new Windows pc I buy.
Can always stick the pc under the desk, and have a separate monitor on top.
Don't want a touch-screen.

Thinking of around $ 700 - $ 800, or so.

Do the majority of you folks believe that ASUS represents the best probability of getting a reliable
unit these days, as compared, perhaps, to Dell, Acer, etc. ?

What's a good (separate) monitor that compares to the iMac one re resolution, clarity, size, etc. ?
Approx. cost of ?

Thanks again for thoughts,
Bob

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for help.

The iMac is of course an all in one.
Needn't be for any new Windows pc I buy.
Can always stick the pc under the desk, and have a separate monitor on top.
Don't want a touch-screen.

Thinking of around $ 700 - $ 800, or so.

Do the majority of you folks believe that ASUS represents the best probability of getting a reliable
unit these days, as compared, perhaps, to Dell, Acer, etc. ?

What's a good (separate) monitor that compares to the iMac one re resolution, clarity, size, etc. ?
Approx. cost of ?

Thanks again for thoughts,
Bob
Hi Bob,
Yes ASUS have been around for a while and are a well renowned quality manufacturer of especially motherboards and they also make quality graphics cards, modems and monitors also. You can't go wrong with them. As far as a $700-800 desktop you will have to shop around as that is in the low budget desktop range and you might be able to get something even second hand of good quality. Monitor manufacturers that are renowned are Samsung, LG, AOC Monitors, Asus, View Sonic, Acer are all renowned good quality monitor manufacturers (not in any order) and you can't go wrong with them. My personal preference is either Asus or View Sonic as I've used View Sonic for many years and Asus for a few years now. Asus haven't been making monitors as long as View Sonic but they are making some very high quality, high end stuff these days.

Reaction score
I would be more interested in what parts the PC comes with over the brand. As long as the PC has the parts you want then you should buy that particular one. All brands use the same parts. Just make sure you get what you want. I prefer to build my own. That way I know exactly what goes in it. It's not hard at all to build one.

Ask a Question