New Edge Chromium/20H2

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Well isn't that a kick in the nads. WTF MS.....promises promises. So I was informed by a Developer Insider Team member that the embedded version of the New Edge Chromium is and will rolled out to everyone by end of July of this year. Now I find this......somebody has screwed up big time.

Quick to install and includes the new, improved Microsoft Edge
Windows 10, version 20H2 will offer a scoped set of features to improve performance and enhance quality. It will also be the first version of Windows 10 to include the new Microsoft Edge, based on Chromium

Reaction score
I thought you could choose to install it (optional) or leave the old version of Edge in place until they do a full Edge browser update?. :)

Reaction score
I thought they were going to include some of the parts of their IIS SEO toolkit to make Edge better and at the same time keep the updates from the Chromium smoothly rolling to give us a seamless experience.

I would rather wait until they roll out an updated version of Edge Chromium (in all manners) so that I can do a full install and be start using it. It seems that Corona has taken a toll on this venture as well along with others as the team is way past the goal of giving the new Chrome to us by July.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
That link is for the Fall update....20H2 and what to expect when MS releases it. It has nothing to do with the 20H1 that we are getting now. Specifically, with New Edge Chromium to be tied/embedded to it. So MS says....we'll see.

Reaction score
This topic crops up from time to time. I am a little confused.
When the june update came, I mead a clean install. Whilst prowling around, I clicked in the edge settings and then help and Feed back - whats new. I was switched to a page asking me to download the new Chromium edge.

This is where the confusion lies! I believe I have it In spite of threads such as this one??

1592745386483.png

Reaction score
It sure looks like that MS is pushing the new EDGE in a big way. Yesterday I got a Windows 7 update even through WU. Turned out, it was the new Edge. They are pushing it for Windows 8 as well....

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
It sure looks like that MS is pushing the new EDGE in a big way. Yesterday I got a Windows 7 update even through WU. Turned out, it was the new Edge. They are pushing it for Windows 8 as well....
Yep....my bud on the Dev Team for New Edge Chromium has confirmed that he roll out is for 7/8/8.1 as well as 10 and by the end of July.

It was reportedly to be bundled with 20H1 which it wasn't. For what ever reason, MS has decided to roll out the "embedded" version separately. Which is what this roll out is all about. Then when 20H2 hits in the Fall....it will be in the feature update as part of the OS.

The question remains, whether or not MS will remove IE and the old Edge with 20H2 release.

Reaction score
So what will be the difference from the one I am now using and the new one? I remain confused

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I'm just as confused as you are about that Dave....

All I know is what my New Edge Chromium Dev Team guy is saying. Yes...I asked him the very same question. All I got was, we can manually update it now....and when it rolls out to every one and we should see ii in WU as it will be the embedded version with some new features. MS will continue to add new features to until the 20H2 release.

Reaction score
As you said earlier - surely they will have to remove IE . The old Edge, I would imagine, will be overwritten and all the settings transferred. That is what happened here when they offered the update ( IE was kept)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I remember reading some years back that the code for IE was so complexly intertwined with the OS code that it would be practically inextricable. At best they might be able to remark some of it out as to make it seem invisible.
AND
While we're on the topic of EDGE... I'll just leave this here

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
A better question might be.....
Why would they....
I mean they just had their butts handed to them by Android (which is Google, which is Chrome) in their half hearted attempt to compete in the Cell (mobile) phone market. Their hearts were never in it, they never displayed the commitment required to compete with the big dogs.

It was like there was one guy at Microsoft who wanted them to succeed in the phone arena and he never got any support from the higher ups.
They threw tons of money at it, hell they even bought Nokia and they still couldn't make a go of it.

You'll not see me ever spending another dime on any Microsoft branded hardware.
I don't care what they call it.

Reaction score
I don't think I will ever buy an MS Surface Pro or an Apple device as I think they are waaaaaaay overpriced, you can buy at least two good laptops/PC's for the same price from nearly all computer manufacturers, the same goes for Apple phones, too expensive in my opinion and also they are laden with user restrictions (dictated usage as to what a user can and cannot do with their own device!). :)

You look at a base model then start adding extra RAM and storage space and the price doubles every time you add something, no thanks!. :mad:

Ask a Question