New Laptop W10 Limited Internet

Reaction score
I bought my laptop last Sunday. Internet connection has been working fine until yesterday. All of a sudden I have no Internet connection and it says "limited acess". I know it isn't my Internet connection because I have other devices running just fine. What is going on? I'm no systems expert so please lower the technical talk to my level.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Miss Daisy and welcome to the forum.
We are hearing about this exact same or at least very similar issue, frequently lately and I have not seen or heard a definitive solution.
I can only guess that at some point very recently Windows Update added a less than optimal driver to your system.
The first thing that I would try is to ......
Open device manager
expand network adapters
right click the problem adapter (you don't mention wireless or wired) and choose "Properties"
Select the "Driver" tab and then
Click the "Roll Back Driver" button.
It's possible, although not likely, you may have to do this a second time to get back to the proper factory driver for your NIC.

Reaction score
Okay. Did I mention I'm not a techie? I went into Settings and found Device Manager. I was looking for "expand network adapters" until I realized you meant to open it up. Did I mention I'm not a techie? Anyway, I clicked on Network Adapters and a list of "stuff" opened up. What am I looking at here? Did I mention I'm not a techie?

Reaction score
It shows: Qualcomm Atheros AR956X Wireless Network Adapter and Realtel PCle FE Family Controller. Does this help?

Reaction score
I right clicked on Qualcomm and it said it is working properly. Same for Realtek.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So then right click the Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Adapter and choose properties.
Then select the Driver Tab from along the top and see if the
Rollback Driver Button is available.

Reaction score
Nothing.

Then I checked to see if there were any updates and there were. Now my internet connection is fine. Ugh! I debated getting something this new figuring it had bugs but knowing Microsoft, this is not the end. Trouble, thank you so much!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thank you for the heads up regarding your issues.
Good to hear that you managed to work through it and resolve the problem.
Nice work.

Ask a Question